The Ottawa Senators started well in both games in Montréal, taking a 1-0 lead into the second period in each game. They had a disastrous second period in each game, going into the third with a one goal deficit. The end result of each game was a loss and the Senators almost certainly will need a win tonight if they are to win the series.
Here are the lines and pairings for the Senators.
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Zibanejad - Ryan
Condra - Pageau - Lazar
Hoffman - Legwand - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Borowiecki - Gryba
Some notes for tonight:
- I really like the decision to start Anderson tonight. Hammond's technique in the Pacioretty goal was hard to watch with him staying on his feet and getting beat low. It was like it was the 1980s. The Subban and Galchenyuk goals were stoppable as well.
- That is not to say that Hammond's contributions are not appreciated. Ottawa isn't playing this game without him.
- Erik Karlsson looked wonderful in game two. He might have created half a dozen chances simply on his own. Easily the best player for Ottawa on Friday.
- The Senators have scored three power play goals in the first two games. That is good to see.
- The penalty kill on the other hand has looked pretty bad with the Habs seeming to be able to tee up at will.
- Patrick Wiercioch has three points in two games. Nice to see him finally getting some points.
- Mark Stone had two assists but did not even attempt a shot on goal. It would be a shame if he becomes a non-factor due to the slash. Especially as he was so hot going into the playoffs.
- Ottawa's biggest weakness is the third pairing on defence. They are a liability and there is nothing that can be done about this. You just have to somehow survive their minutes.
- Can tonight be the night that Bobby Ryan busts out? God I hope so.
- I will be at the game and am rather excited.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.war-on-ice.com
|Goals||Patrick Wiercioch||1||P.K. Subban||1|
|Assists||Patrick Wiercioch||2||P.K. Subban||2|
|Points||Patrick Wiercioch||3||P.K. Subban||3|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||6||Brendan Gallagher||10|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||29:07||Andrei Markov||24:52|
|Score adjusted Corsi %||48.6%||11th||51.4%||6th|
|Score adjusted Fenwick %||48.5%||10th||51.5%||5th|