Remember those (many, many, many) years when the Leafs were horrible, so we had to work ourselves up a little bit for the Battle of Ontario? Well, those times have now passed. The Leafs are the current betting favourites to win the Stanley Cup due to their 6-1-0 record and league-leading +12 goal differential. (barfs)
How will the Sens be trying to counter them tonight? Here are the lineups via TSN’s Brent Wallace and Mark Masters:
Ryan - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Turris - Burrows
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Thompson - Brown - DiDomenico
Oduya - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Claesson - Wideman
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Komarov
JvR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Marner
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick
Some thoughts on tonight:
- Logan Brown keeps his lineup spot, and this time, he’s at his natural centre position with call-up Chris DiDomenico and Nate Thompson. I’d expect Thompson to take any D-zone draws if they get caught on the ice. I wouldn’t expect this line to play 8+ minutes tonight..
- With Mitch Marner on L4, JVR on L3, and Patrick Marleau on L2, the Leafs are a tough team to matchup against. I’m of the opinion that Guy Boucher sometimes overthinks his matchups — it’ll be interesting to watch what he does tonight, especially with the defence pairings.
- Only Philadelphia and Carolina have given up less goals than Ottawa in the East, while the Leafs 34 goals scored is the top in the conference.
- Toronto floods the area around the net with shots, and does pretty well with limiting shots getting to the front of theirs
- The team generally gets more shots for than shots against when most of Toronto’s players are on the ice; the exceptions to this are the Zaitsev - Gardiner pairing. /
sens leafs preview.csv
|Category||Ottawa Senators||Senators||Toronto Maple||Leafs|
|Corsi (5v5, Score and Venue adjusted)||43.34||30th||53.15||8th|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||48.16||19th||53.31||9th|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team