Game 79 Preview and Open Thread: Montreal Canadiens @ Ottawa Senators
Sens host garbage-eaters for final time this season
Coming off a hard-fought victory in Columbus last night, the Ottawa Senators come home to host their final meeting of the season against Montreal. This game certainly feels like a trap as Ottawa plays the back half of a doubleheader against a team that has lost seven in a row and eight of its last ten. With Filip Gustavsson having played last night, we expect to see Anton Forsberg tonight. Ottawa went with these lines and pairings in Ohio:
Formenton - Stützle - Brown
Tierney - Kastelic - Gaudette
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson
Brännström - Zub
Del Zotto - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev
Carey Price started Montreal’s last game (a 6-3 loss to Philadelphia on Thursday) and the Habs went with these lines and pairings in that game:
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher
Perreault - Poehling - Pitlick
Harvey-Pinard - Pitlick - Evans
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Clague - Wideman
- Both teams bad give up a lot on the penalty kill (8.20 and 8.13 xGA/60 respectively) but Ottawa has the better penalty kill save percentage at 88.9 to Montreal’s 84.4.
- Ottawa has better powerplay rates (7.73 xGF/60 to Montreal’s 5.73) and better shooting results 13.0% versus 10.3.
- Five-on-five offence looks basically identical with Ottawa at 2.34 xGF/60 to Montreal’s 2.32 and both teams shoot 7.62% at five-on-five.
- Defensively at five-on-five, Ottawa gives up slightly less (2.60 xGA/60 to 2.81) and has the better save percentage at 91.7 to Montreal’s 90.9.
- Stats as always courtesy of naturalstattrick/
Where to watch/listen: TVAS, SNE/CITY, TSN1200 @7PM EST
|Goals||Josh Norris||33||Nick Suzuki||20|
|Assists||Tim Stützle||33||Nick Suzuki||38|
|Points||Brady Tkachuk||61||Nick Suzuki||58|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||273||Nick Suzuki||184|
|TOI||Thomas Chabot||26:22||Jeff Petry||22:05|