Fresh off their final two day break of the regular season, the Ottawa Senators will get back to action with tonight's game in Philadelphia against the Flyers. The Senators will play eight times over the final 13 days with travel necessary before each game. Ottawa is coming off a disappointing loss to Montréal on Saturday while the Flyers routed the Penguins on Sunday.
Zack Smith is sick and will be a game time decision. If he cannot play, Jyrki Jokipakka will play as a seventh defenceman in his Senators debut. Craig Anderson will start in net. Here are the expected lines if Smith plays:
Burrows - Brassard - Stone
Smith - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Dzingel - Kelly - Wingels
Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Tonight will be the second game of a five-game road trip. After tonight, Ottawa goes to Minnesota, Winnipeg and Detroit.
- Mike Hoffman and Erik Karlsson are battling it out for the team shots on goal lead. Karlsson has 204, Hoffman has 203. Karlsson has played in seven more games though.
- Bobby Ryan has no points in seven games since returning from injury. He has 18 shots in that span.
- Hoffman's points streak is up to six games now. He has seven points in that span.
- The Senators need to win four of their remaining six away games to break the club record for away wins in a season.
- Ottawa's magic number to clinch a playoff spot is eight points. The earliest they can clinch is Saturday.
- A win for Ottawa tonight would mean the Flyers cannot finish ahead of Ottawa.
- Brent Burns is now five points ahead of Karlsson for the defenceman scoring race. Victor Hedman has closed to within two points of Karlsson.
- Apologies for the delay and the lack of content in today's preview!/
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from Corsica.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||25||Wayne Simmonds||29|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||53||Claude Giroux||41|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||67||Jakub Voracek||57|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||204||Jakub Voracek||234|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:53||Ivan Provorov||21:51|
|Zone, score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.79%||25th||50.01%||19th|
|Score, Zone and venue adjusted Fenwick %||48.14%||23rd||50.23%||17th|