The Ottawa Senators will look to make it two games in a row when they host the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. The Senators did not play that well against Boston on Tuesday, but thanks in large part to Craig Anderson came away with a 3-2 win. The Penguins were up to their usual trash boy selves led by captain trash himself but did win 3-1 in Buffalo on Tuesday.
Mark Stone will not return tonight but there is a ray of hope that Fredrik Claesson could return if Mark Borowiecki is too banged up to play. Mike Condon will start in net.
Here are the likely lines and pairings:
Smith - Turris - Ryan
Dzingel - Brassard - Burrows
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Stålberg - Kelly - Wingels
Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki/Claesson - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Brent Burns is off tonight so Erik Karlsson has a chance to further close the gap on Burns. Burns has 70 points in 73 games while Karlsson has 66 in 72.
- Tonight could be the night that Bobby Ryan finally shatters the 25-point mark for the season.
- Mike Hoffman is on a four-game points streak with five points in that span. He has 14 points in 13 games since returning from injury.
- Ottawa is now 27-4-2 when scoring first.
- Karlsson is on pace for 75 points for the season. That would be the third highest total of his career.
- Despite missing seven games, Hoffman is on pace for 61 points which would be a career high. He is tied with Karlsson for the team lead with 24 power play points.
- I am not sure if it is just a coincidence or the Senators playing more conservatively with Condon, but Condon has faced 24 fewer shots than Anderson despite playing 132 more minutes.
- While the Penguins are a very dangerous team, they do allow the fourth most shots in the league. Hopefully it results in an Erik point or two.
- If the Leafs end up as the third seed and Ottawa avoids Boston, winning the division becomes a lot less important. I do want that division championship banner though...
- Kyle Turris needs two more goals to set a career high./
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from Corsica.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||25||Sidney Crosby||41|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||52||Phil Kessel||41|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||66||Sidney Crosby||81|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||201||Sidney Crosby||230|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:50||Kris Letang||25:31|
|Zone, score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.66%||26th||50.42%||14th|
|Score, Zone and venue adjusted Fenwick %||48.05%||24th||51.84%||6th|