Game 69 preview: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and Carolina Hurricanes on 17 March 2015.
Back on 16 February, the Senators were already without Craig Anderson and backup Robin Lehner got a concussion late in the second period on a play that put the Hurricanes ahead 4-3. Andrew Hammond came in for the third period and allowed two goals on five shots and the Senators lost 6-3. Since then, Hammond has started 11 games and not allowed more than two goals in any of them. He has let in only 14 goals in those 11 starts allowing one or less in six of them. Tonight he will get a chance to equal an NHL record set in 1938 by allowing two goals or less in his first 12 starts to begin an NHL career.
Here are the lines and pairings for tonight from Gord Wilson. Chris Driedger will be the backup with Craig Anderson injuring himself once again.
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Lazar - Pageau - Condra
Puempel - Legwand - Chiasson
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Borowiecki
Some notes for tonight:
- Boston is playing at home against a Sabres team that played last night so the Senators need a win tonight to keep the gap at five points going into the game against the Bruins on Thursday.
- Mike Hoffman has now gone four straight games without a point. The longest he has been without a point this season was five games between late October and early November.
- Not surprisingly, his linemate Bobby Ryan has also been five games without a point now.
- If Ottawa can finish 9-5-0 or some other combination to get 18 or more points, it will be their highest regular season point total since 2006-2007.
- Ottawa and Tampa Bay are the only two teams not to have been shutout this season.
- Alexander Semin is having a bit of a disaster this season with only 16 points and 70 shots on goal in 44 games.
- Andrew Hammond can equal the Buffalo Sabres with seven road wins if Ottawa wins tonight and the Sabres lose.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||24||Eric Staal||19|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||36||Justin Faulk||31|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||54||Justin Faulk||45|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||244||Eric Staal||203|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:58||Justin Faulk||24:18|
|Score adjusted Corsi %||50.7%||17th||51.1%||15th|
|Score adjusted Fenwick %||49.0%||21st||51.0%||15th|