Game 67 preview: Colorado Avalanche @ Ottawa Senators
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and Colorado Avalanche on 16 March 2014.
The Ottawa Senators continue to find ways to lose games and any remaining hope continues to get smaller, but they still have to play 16 more games. One of those is against the Colorado Avalanche. Ottawa is currently seven points behind the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Senators do have two games in hand.
After an incredible collapse in large part due to Robin Lehner, the Senators will return with Lehner again with Craig Anderson still injured. No practice due to back-to-back but here were the lines last night in order of ice time.
Greening - Smith - Neil
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Hemsky
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Condra
Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Some notes for today:
- There are 16 games left and Erik Karlsson has 17 goals and 60 points. Can he break the club record for goals by a defenceman, currently at 19? Can he reach 70 points? Or get really hot and match his 2011/2012 totals?
- Cody Ceci and Chris Phillips have been awful for pretty much every game since the Olympic break.
- With 3:30 left in the game, Paul MacLean told Colin Greening to jump over the boards. Eight seconds later, the Habs made it 4-2. With 2:18 left, Greening got the tap again and 14 seconds later it was 4-3. With 1:13 left, the Senators lasted 72 seconds before allowing a goal. Nevertheless, it was three straight shifts with a goal against.
- Zack Smith played more even strength than Jason Spezza because of course he did.
- Robin Lehner was awful. He has been a real mess for the last few months.
- For all the negatives, this roster isn't as bad as it is playing. With some better luck, more competent coaching, this team should easily be a playoff team next year.
Here are some stats leaders for the two teams tonight.
|Goals||Bobby Ryan||22||Ryan O'Reilly||25|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||43||Matt Duchene||40|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||60||Matt Duchene||62|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||210||Matt Duchene||207|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:17||Erik Johnson||22:52|
|Corsi Close %||51.7%||9th||47.6%||25th|
|Fenwick Close %||50.5%||14th||47.1%||27th|