A rebounding Erik Karlsson hosts the surging Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, in the sacred 65th game of the seventh season of our Lord Erik. After going three straight games without a point, Karlsson has added three assists in the last two games. The Lightning have won seven in a row to move within two points of the division leading Florida Panthers.
The Senators will make a couple of changes to the lineup. The newly signed Scott Gomez (!!!) will replace Matt Puempel in the lineup and Andrew Hammond will replace the injured Craig Anderson. Patrick Wiercioch will be the healthy scratch and Mark Borowiecki will once again play for an NHL team.
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Gomez - Chiasson
Paul - Lazar - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Karlsson needs 15 assists in the final 18 games to bring Jason Spezza's club record for assists in a single season.
- Karlsson needs 3 assists in the final 18 games to break Erik Karlsson's club record for assists in a single season by a defenceman.
- Karlsson has a game in hand on both Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin. Benn is second in league scoring with 71 points while Karlsson and Seguin are tied for third at 68.
- Karlsson is six assists ahead of Patrick Kane for the NHL lead.
- Karlsson has 40 points in 32 games at home this year.
- On a non-Karlsson note, Jean-Gabriel Pageau is on a six-game points streak with eight points in that span. He is now on pace for 40 points this season.
- Mark Stone only had a single assist to show for it, but he sure was dominant on Tuesday wasn't he?
- Karlsson hasn't scored a goal after the All-Star break. He is averaging almost four shots a game with 53 shots in 14 games since then.
- Ottawa is five points behind Pittsburgh for the final wild card spot. The Penguins have two games in hand.
- The Red Wings hold the first wild card spot and are eight points ahead of Ottawa with an equal number of games played.
- The Senators are 5-1-1 in the last seven games since going 0-3-0 in the first three games with Dion Phaneuf./
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Mike Hoffman||25||Steven Stamkos||28|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||57||Victor Hedman||30|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||68||Steven Stamkos||51|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||198||Steven Stamkos||174|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||29:05||Victor Hedman||22:49|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.5%||22nd||52.8%||3rd|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||47.0%||25th||52.6%||6th|