The Ottawa Senators visit the Arizona Coyotes in what is shaping up to be a tank battle for the ages. Games like these can be particularly conflicting for fans: on the one hand, wins like last night’s surprise outing against the Golden Knights are fun and help us cope with the doldrums of a lost season. On the other hand, there’s no doubt that the Sens would prefer to finish behind the Coyotes for the purposes of the draft lottery.
So, what are we left with? Personally, I’m pulling for a lot of goals and then let the chips fall where they may. Goals always help soothe the pain.
Marian Gaborik remains out with what has been termed a minor injury. No other details have been provided by the Sens at the time of this writing.
Mike Condon will get the start for the Sens, with Antti Raanta getting the nod for the Coyotes.
Here’s how the Sens are expected to line-up:
Ryan - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Smith - Paajarvi
McCormick - O'Brien - Burrows
Claesson - Karlsson
Harpur - Ceci
Borowiecki - Chabot
- Last night was vintage Erik Karlsson, a stellar performance that should serve to remind us all (and hopefully Sens’ management) how indispensable he is to this franchise. The Sens don’t win that game without their talisman.
- Speaking of outstanding performances, Mark Stone found his scoring touch last night with an absolute beauty in the first period. He’s quietly on a 90 (!!) point pace with team-leading shot metrics — he’s been really, really good.
- Clayton Keller has been a bright spot for the Coyotes this year, but virtually everything else has gone poorly. The off-season acquisitions have not panned out as they might have hoped and players like Max Domi (and Anthony Duclair before he was traded) seem to have taken steps backwards. For all the talk of the need for a complete rebuild, the Coyotes are a reminder of what can happen if the tear-down isn’t executed properly./
|Penalty Kill %||76.2||27th||83.3||4th|
|Corsi (5v5, Score & Venue Adjusted)||46.32||29th||53.97||2nd|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||46.94||27th||54.01||1st|
|Goals||Matt Duchene||27||Brad Marchand||34|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson (out)||53||Brad Marchand||51|
|Points||Karlsson/Stone (both out)||62||Brad Marchand||85|
|Shots||Mike Hoffman||253||David Pastrnak||236|
|TOI/GP||Erik Karlsson (out)||26:44||Zdeno Chara||22:53|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team