Between today’s game and the Sens’ next one against Washington, this team could look drastically different. With the February 26th trade deadline fast approaching, the next major domino fell yesterday with Derick Brassard being dealt to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But until then, there’s still hockey left to be played, as the Philadelphia Flyers (32-19-10) roll into town to take on the Ottawa Senators (21-29-10). Ottawa has lost their last three straight after a good start to the month, while the Flyers are are currently the league’s hottest team with an 8-0-2 record in their last ten games.
There’s a lot of mystery surrounding tonight’s lineup. Who fills in as the second line centre? Will Ian Cole play? Will anyone else be traded beforehand? We’re left without answers, so for now the ‘projected’ lineup below will be a complete guess loosely based on the previous game’s combos.
Look out for healthy scratches for ‘precautionary reasons’. That’s the trade bait.
The projected starting goalies are Craig Anderson and the recently-acquired Petr Mrazek.
Projected Guessed Lineup
My personal guess is that Ian Cole won’t be playing tonight, as the Sens are reportedly trying to flip him before the deadline (he’s a pending UFA). Max McCormick is already up on the main roster so he’ll draw into the lineup.
Paajarvi - Smith - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Pyatt
McCormick - Shore - Gaborik
Oduya - Karlsson
Borowiecki - Ceci
Chabot - Harpur
- Subsequent to yesterday’s trade, a GoFundMe page was started to try and get a #MelnykOut billboard near the Canadian Tire Centre. It’s already hit over $5,000.
- Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore had the lowest 5v5 time on ice last game against Tampa Bay, with neither cracking seven minutes.
- Mark Stone was one missed game away from playing his 300th career game on game #61 of the season. He hit the mileStone on Thursday.
- In other news: Chris Kelly scored two goals as Team Canada won bronze in Olympic men’s hockey.
- Could we potentially see a third mid-game trade of the season?
- It’s an early start today — game time is 2:00 p.m./
|Penalty Kill %||76.2||27th||83.3||4th|
|Corsi (5v5, Score & Venue Adjusted)||46.32||29th||53.97||2nd|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||46.94||27th||54.01||1st|
|Goals||Matt Duchene||27||Brad Marchand||34|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson (out)||53||Brad Marchand||51|
|Points||Karlsson/Stone (both out)||62||Brad Marchand||85|
|Shots||Mike Hoffman||253||David Pastrnak||236|
|TOI/GP||Erik Karlsson (out)||26:44||Zdeno Chara||22:53|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team