Just weeks ago, the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks were both in contention for the league’s last place spot. The teams have gone in different directions since, with Ottawa falling further down, and the Hawks winning seven games in a row, going 8-2-0 in their last ten.
Craig Anderson was questionable whether he will return today after missing the last two weeks after injuring his eye. He’s not quite ready to play, as Anders Nilsson will start for the sixth consecutive game. Andy will still serve as the backup with Filip Gustavsson sent down yesterday, so in the case that Nilsson gets yanked, Anderson would play in his 600th career game.
Mikkel Boedker is guaranteed to make his return, with Darren Archibald sent to Belleville yesterday. Jack Rodewald was also sent down after being activated off IR.
Here are the anticipated lines and pairings ahead of today’s game:
Tkachuk - White - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Paajarvi
Boedker - Tierney - Balcers
Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Ceci
Harpur - Jaros
- A handful of Blackhawks players have been on fire as of late. Patrick Kane notably has 22 points in his last ten games, and is riding a league-high seventeen-game point streak.
- Dylan Strome, Jonathan Toews and Alex DeBrincat all have sixteen points in their last ten.
- As for the Sens, the hottest players have been, you guessed it, Duchene, Stone and Dzingel. The UFA trio has recorded a point on 21 of Ottawa’s last 25 goals. One week until deadline day.
- Going under the radar is Chris Tierney, who’s on a five-game point streak with six assists in that span.
- Mark Stone wasn’t skating yesterday as a maintenance day, but took part in today’s optional skate. Matt Duchene did not. Make of it what you will.
- Game time is 8:30. You can catch the broadcast on TSN 5./
|Penalty Kill %||79.4||22nd||80.8||13th|
|Corsi (5v5, Score & Venue Adjusted)||44.49||31st||51.61||9th|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||45.01||31st||52.36||9th|
|Goals||Brady Tkachuk||16||Vladimir Tarasenko||28|
|Assists||Thomas Chabot||36||Ryan O'Reilly||41|
|Points||Thomas Chabot||49||Ryan O'Reilly||67|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||170||Vladimir Tarasenko||235|
|TOI/GP||Thomas Chabot||24:03||Alex Pietrangelo||23:51|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team