Fresh off an exhilarating last couple of days, the Senators are in Toronto to visit the playoff-bound Maple Leafs.
The Leafs are 7-2-1 in their last 10, and like Ottawa, beat Nashville in their last contest (3-2 SOW). Ottawa are 4-6-0, but have pulled off wins in four of their last five -- including three games with 4+ goals scored.
After playing with 11 forwards in Nashville, two top-six forwards will be rejoining the group in Toronto. Mark Stone is back after a nine-game absence due to a lower body injury, and Derick Brassard returns after missing the last two games with a nagging problem.
Dzingel - Brassard - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Paajarvi - DiDomenico
Chabot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Oduya - Borowiecki
Some thoughts on tonight:
- I remember when this February matchup used to be the other way around: the porous Toronto Maple Leafs versus the playoff-bound Ottawa Senators. I miss those times.
- How many of the current Senators will be in the lineup when the two teams play next season? I’ll say 13 of the current 20.
- Jake Gardiner has been on a tear recently, with 13 points (all assists) in his last 10 games.
- Ottawa has 7 players who have 20+ points this season; Toronto has 8 who have 30+ points and 11 who have 20+. I’ve heard a lot of Mitch Marner complaining in Toronto, but he’s only 4 points behind Nylander and is third in team scoring.
- Why did Ottawa ever demote Chris DiDomenico again? His 10 points in 22 games is 8 more than Dumont, and puts him miles ahead of Burrows, Smith, Thompson, Pyatt, and Pageau in points-per-game.
- Erik Karlsson’s having a down year, but his 36 points in 48 games still has him 7th in points-per-game and 8th in overall points. He’s tied with Victor Hedman, who plays on a way better team. Klingberg (52 points) and Burns (47 points) pace all defenders. /
|Penalty Kill %||76.2||27th||83.3||4th|
|Corsi (5v5, Score & Venue Adjusted)||46.32||29th||53.97||2nd|
|Fenwick (5v5, SVA)||46.94||27th||54.01||1st|
|Goals||Matt Duchene||27||Brad Marchand||34|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson (out)||53||Brad Marchand||51|
|Points||Karlsson/Stone (both out)||62||Brad Marchand||85|
|Shots||Mike Hoffman||253||David Pastrnak||236|
|TOI/GP||Erik Karlsson (out)||26:44||Zdeno Chara||22:53|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team