Game 42 preview: Washington Capitals @ Ottawa Senators
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and the Washington Capitals on 30 December 2013.
You know the drill. The Ottawa Senators have lost nine straight games in games following a win. Will the tenth time be the charm? The Senators did win the back end of a back-to-back for the first time on Saturday so there is that. There will be no changes with Jason Spezza and Chris Phillips still out with injuries. Craig Anderson will start again.
Here are the lines:
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Smith - Neil
Michalek - Zibanejad - Conacher
Kassian - Pageau - Condra
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Corvo
Wiercioch - Ceci
Some notes for tonight:
- There is half a season to go. The Leafs are on pace for 90 points. The Senators need to go the equivalent of 23-13-5 to get there.
- Ottawa has gone 3-1-1 in the last two weeks against playoff teams but 0-2-0 against those on the outside.
- The Capitals are a terrible 5-on-5 team but have a lethal power play. The Senators have to find a way to defend without taking penalties.
- Tonight's game features some of the players with the longest shift length. Mike Green is first at 59 seconds while Erik Karlsson and Alexander Ovechkin are tied for second at 58 seconds.
- Mika Zibanejad continues to be dominant from a possession standpoint. Hopefully he can bump Zack Smith down the ladder in the coach's eyes. Bobby Ryan also continues to be used sparingly for a player with 35 points.
- Erik Karlsson leads the Senators in shots, missed shots and shots blocked. Karlsson has had 108 shots blocked while no one else on the team has reached 50.
Here are some stats leaders for the two teams tonight.
|Goals||Bobby Ryan||18||Alexander Ovechkin||30|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||27||Nicklas Backstrom||34|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||37||Nicklas Backstrom||44|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||130||Alexander Ovechkin||202|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:16||John Carlson||24:41|
|Corsi Close %||50.8%||14th||46.7%||26th|
|Fenwick Close %||49.7%||16th||46.1%||27th|