Tonight will mark the halfway point of the season and the Ottawa Senators have 25 out of the first 40 games, currently 13th in the eastern conference and six points behind the last playoff spot. It has been an awful half a season for the team, but there is still another half to go. They will get another crack at the Boston Bruins tonight as they close out the first half of the season.
Craig Anderson will start while Joe Corvo will be in for the struggling Eric Gryba. Chris Phillips will be a game time decision after leaving last night's game. Here are the lines:
Greening - Smith - Neil
Michalek - Spezza - Conacher
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Zibanejad - Pageau - Condra
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Corvo
Phillips - Ceci
Some notes for tonight:
- Craig Anderson was spectacular on Monday against Pittsburgh. Will he have a similar performance tonight? Will the Sens need one? The answer is hopefully and probably.
- Paul MacLean is insane. Will he slightly sane tonight? Hopefully.
- Will Bobby Ryan crack the 15 minute threshold? He has failed to do so in four of the last eight games, averaging 15:38 in that span. As I said, Paul MacLean is absolutely nuts.
- Colin Greening led all forwards in ice time last night.
- The Leafs are idle on a Saturday night so Ottawa can move within four points with a win.
- The Senators play three straight games at home before starting a stretch where 16 out of the next 21 are on the road.
- The Senators are 3-1-2 when I am in attendance and 12-17-5 when I am not. You should probably start a fund to take me around the continent./
Here are some stats leaders for the two teams tonight.
|Goals||Bobby Ryan||17||Reilly Smith||14|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||27||David Krejci||25|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||37||David Krejci||33|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||124||Patrice Bergeron||110|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:23||Zdeno Chara||25:02|
|Corsi Close %||50.7%||13th||53.9%||5th|
|Fenwick Close %||49.7%||16th||53.4%||6th|