Though their possession game was strong against the Red Wings Monday night, the Senators were unable to keep their win streak alive, losing 5-1 in Motown.
The good news is Guy Boucher’s system seems more prevalent in Ottawa’s play the previous two games. Once the power play gets that first one out of the way, they’re sure to break through, and the other side of the special teams battle looks better every game.
After sitting last night, Craig Anderson will take the crease tonight. Andrew Hammond was anything but stellar against the Red Wings, allowing five goals on 25 shots, so the Senators will look for a bounce-back performance from their goaltending duo.
Line combinations and defense pairings are relatively unknown at this point. The Senators didn’t have a morning skate today; just an afternoon meeting. Plus, Boucher juggled the lines quite a bit last night trying to find a winning combo.
What we do know is that Thomas Chabot will make his NHL debut and Matt Puempel will join Phil Varone in the press box tonight.
Some notes for tonight:
- While Phil Varone has failed to carry his preseason momentum into the regular season, Ryan Dzingel has done the complete opposite. Now tied for the team lead in goals (though, only with two), he’s quickly solidifying himself as a top-nine forward.
- After posting a 2-6 CF rating in the first period last night, Erik Karlsson finished the game with a 24-11 rating. Unbelievable two periods from the captain.
- Dylan Strome will make his NHL debut with the Coyotes tonight, so it seems Arizona has already taken the early lead.
- The bad news: the Coyotes took both games with the Senators last season.
- The good news: Mikkel Boedker, who had a hat trick in each of the games last year, is now a member of the San Jose Sharks.
- Mike Hoffman is still looking for his first goal of the 2016-17 season, and with Mike Smith in the goal for Arizona, he’ll have a good chance at recording tally No. 1.
Game Day Preview: Sens return home for second of back-to-back to face the undefeated (one game) Coyotes. pic.twitter.com/TGCzquFOPe— Sens Charts (@SensCharts) October 18, 2016
Today on Silver Seven: