Game 3 preview: Canadiens de Montréal @ Ottawa Senators
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and the Montréal Canadiens on 11 October 2015.
Despite almost blowing a two goal lead in Buffalo and then blowing a three goal lead in Toronto, the Ottawa Senators will enter the home opener with a 2-0-0 record. Their opponents, the Canadiens, are also at four points with both teams in a four-way tie for the division lead.
The Senators didn't skate on on a back-to-back but here are the lines from last night.
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zibanejad - Lazar
MacArthur - Pageau - Michalek
Chiasson - Smith - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Borowiecki
Some notes for tonight:
- Jared Cowen had a few decent plays where he used his body to separate the player from the puck but then his lack of puck skills often prevented the Senators from exiting the zone. Add the fact that his partner has minimal hockey skills aside from hitting and you have a bottom pairing that spent most of the night in its own zone.
- Mike Hoffman on the other hand continues to make a mockery of his demotion last season. He hit the post twice and had a host of other chances before eventually scoring the shootout winner. Kyle Turris may have three goals but Hoffman has been the best player on the team so far.
- Erik Karlsson had three assists but we haven't seen too much of Erik flying up the ice at full speed. He has three points in two games and there is still a lot more there. That's how good he is kids.
- The Senators were very fortunate to escape the first period at 0-0 and their play after taking the lead was pretty bad as well. This will not work against teams better than Toronto and Buffalo.
- The Habs will start 25-year old rookie Mike Condon in net for his first career start. He had a 92.1 save percentage in 48 AHL games last year.
- The second line is a mess for Ottawa. They are not creating much of anything at the moment.
- I will be in section 323 in a Sweden Karlsson jersey if you want to come say hi or heckle me.
- Happy Thanksgiving!/
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||3||Max Pacioretty||2|
|Assists||Mark Stone||3||Alex Galchenyuk||3|
|Points||Kyle Turris||4||Alex Galchenyuk||4|
|Shots||Mark Stone||5||Max Pacioretty||10|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:56||P.K. Subban||26:28|
|Score adjusted Corsi %||48.8%||19th||58.4%||3rd|
|Score adjusted Fenwick %||49.4%||15th||61.7%||2nd|