Game 24 Preview & Open Thread: Ottawa Senators @ Columbus Blue Jackets
The Senators go for a fourth in a row in Columbus
The Senators are back in action after a weekend off, riding into Columbus on a three game winning streak, while the Blue Jackets look to bounce back after a late loss in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Nikita Zaitsev is back with the team after missing Friday’s game for personal reasons, and Mikkel Boedker will draw back in with Max Verroneau coming out. Erik Brannstrom didn’t skate yesterday, and won’t be in tonight’s lineup. No morning skate today, but here are the best guesses about the lineup. DJ Smith did confirm that Craig Anderson is starting, and that the decision on who is out on D will be made tonight due to a few guys having “bumps and bruises”.
- He’s downplaying it, but this is probably a big game for Anthony Duclair. First visit back to Columbus, and having a hot season. Tied for 24th in goals, and half way to his career high just 23 games in
- It’s only three games, but the Sens current streak is the second longest active winning streak in the league right now. It’s also better than the season high streaks for five teams, including the Calgary Flames (?) and the Vegas Golden Knights (!?)
- Wild to think about, but Jean-Gabriel Pageau is still within reach of the November goal scoring lead. He’s only two goals behind Connor McDavid, with four games left on the schedule this month to Edmonton’s two. Not likely to catch McDavid for the points total though, 11 down there
- Ottawa has the league’s 5th best last 10 record, at 7-3-0. In other bad draft position news, San Jose has the 3rd best at 8-2-0
- Four points out of a wild card spot. Whaaaaaa?
- It’s a 7pm start on TSN5 and RDS, or listen on TSN1200/
Here are some stats for tonight’s matchup from NHL.com and Natural Stat Trick:
|Goals||Jean-Gabriel Pageau||15||Oskar Lindblom||11|
|Assists||Thomas Chabot, Connor Brown||14||Travis Konecny||17|
|Points||Jean-Gabriel Pageau||21||Travis Konecny||27|
|Shots||Brady Tkachuk||107||Claude Giroux||95|
|Time On Ice||Thomas Chabot||25:10||Ivan Provorov||24:50|
|Penalty Kill %||82.1||14th||84.1||10th|
|Corsi % (5v5, Score and Venue Adjusted)||48.39||23rd||51.97||7th|
|Fenwick % (5v5, SVA)||49.36||17th||50.78||11th|