Game 21 preview: Ottawa Senators @ St. Louis Blues
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and St. Louis Blues on 25 November 2014.
The Ottawa Senators return to action looking to avoid losing three straight games in regulation for the first time this season. Ottawa was thoroughly outplayed in losing 4-3 to the Red Wings last night and it is going to be very tough to get anything from tonight's on a back-to-back.
Robin Lehner will be starting in net and the Senators could also make a couple of changes to the forwards according to Bruce Garrioch.
As the Senators did not skate and are expected to make two mystery changes, I am not even going to bother speculating at the lineup.
Here are some notes for tonight:
- The Senators have played a lot of bad games but score effects in the third period aside, last night was a pretty special kind of awful wasn't it? That's what being 30th in payroll gets you I suppose.
- After not playing for almost two weeks, Robin Lehner will make his third start in four games. Lehner has an excellent 91.8 save percentage in 69 games (60 starts) over his career.
- Erik Karlsson is on a four-game points streak with two goals and three assists in that span.
- Patrick Wiercioch has now not been on the ice for a goals against for over 150 minutes of ice time.
- Jared Cowen's climb to mediocrity appears to be slowing down in the last couple of games.
- Cody Ceci is one of six defencemen with at least 10 games this year that has yet to take a penalty. Mark Borowiecki is third among defencemen with 12 minor penalties. Only Dion Phaneuf and P.K. Subban have taken more minors than Borowiecki among defencemen.
- The Senators have 16 power play goals and Karlsson has 10 power play points. He has also played 103 minutes out of the Senators 131 power play minutes. The Senators have the fourth highest power play time in the NHL.
- For all the hate Alex Chiasson gets, he has the same number of points and one less shot than Mark Stone in two fewer games.
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from naturalstattrick.com.
|Goals||Clarke MacArthur||8||Vladimir Tarasenko||12|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||10||Kevin Shattenkrik||15|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||16||Vladimir Tarasenko||23|
|Shots||Erik Karlsson||81||Vladimir Tarasenko||80|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||27:43||Alex Pietrangelo||25:26|
|Shots Against||35.2||29th||26.4||2nd |