Game 19 preview: Lumbus Blue Jackets @ Ottawa Senators
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and the Lumbus Blue Jackets on 19 November 2015.
This homestand has been a decent representation of the Ottawa Senators season. Ottawa has lost two out of the three games but has also picked up four points in the three games. The Senators have lost 10 out of 18 games this season but thanks to five overtime losses, are on pace for 96 points. Half of their 18 games have gone to overtime this season. Lumbus has won three games in a row but are still seven points out of a playoff spot.
The Senators will make no lineup changes. Jared Cowen and Shane Prince will be scratched, Craig Anderson will start. Here are the lines from Sylvain St-Laurent.
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Puempel - Zibanejad - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Smith - Lazar - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- Erik Karlsson did not a shot on goal on Monday night. That was the first time it happened in the regular season since 3 January 2015. His assist gave him 18 points on the season, good for 10th in the NHL.
- Kyle Turris has no goals and just one assist in the last six games since scoring a goal in four straight games.
- Karlsson, Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman are all exactly at a point per game in 18, 16 and 14 games respectively.
- Since the 7-3 win in Lumbus on 14 October, the Senators have only two regulation wins in 14 games, though they did win three games in overtime and got points from another five games in overtime losses.
- Jared Cowen had some interesting comments regarding criticism of his play from Bryan Murray.
- Possibly as a result of spending so much time in their own zone, Ottawa is also 7th last in shots for per game. They have ridden the percentages to scoring the ninth highest goals per game though.
- Matt Puempel continuing to play over Shane Prince seems puzzling to me.
- With the struggles of the second line, it is probably a good idea to swap Bobby Ryan and Mark Stone./
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||8||Brandon Saad||9|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||15||Ryan Johansen||11|
|Points||Erik Karlsson||18||Scott Hartnell||14|
|Shots||Kyle Turris||48||Brandon Saad||52|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:53||Jack Johnson||24:27|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||47.0%||24th||45.2%||29th|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||46.4%||25th||44.5%||29th|