Game 14 preview: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes
A preview of the game between the Ottawa Senators and the Carolina Hurricanes on 7 November 2015.
The Ottawa Senators will look for a season high three game winning streak when they visit the Carolina Hurricanes tonight. The Senators beat the Winnipeg Jets in a shootout on Wednesday while the Hurricanes lost 4-1 to the Dallas Stars last night.
Mark Stone will return from suspension and will replace Zack Smith who will be a healthy scratch. Cody Ceci is injured and will be replaced by Chris Wideman in the lineup. Andrew Hammond will start.
Here are the lines:
Prince - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Puempel - Lazar - Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Borowiecki
Cowen - Wideman
Some notes for tonight:
- There good news is that Chris Wideman will play. The bad news is that both Jared Cowen and Mark Borowiecki will still play. With Patrick Wiercioch not having a great year so far, that second pairing with Borowiecki could be disastrous against stiffer competition.
- On the forwards, the Senators look really good. With Bobby Ryan and Mike Hoffman the better wingers of the two lines, it would not be easy to determine what is the #1 line right now. The Michalek Pageau Chiasson line should also be an excellent third line. Chris Neil aside, the fourth line also has more skill than the typical bottom line.
- Ottawa will get lucky again playing an opponent that played last night. Hopefully they have a more straightforward victory than the one on Thursday.
- The Senators are 5-1-0 on the road.
- Ottawa sits second in their division and you really have to like their chances at a playoff spot this year due to the lack of competition.
- The games in Carolina always seem to be strange or frustrating affairs. Or maybe I just don't remember.
- Erik Karlsson still does not have a goal yet on 32 shots. It is going to end tonight because...reasons./
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net. Note that Corsi is now adjusted for score as well as the venue and event type.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||8||Eric Staal||4|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||12||Kris Versteeg||8|
|Points||Kyle Turris||13||Kris Versteeg||10|
|Shots||Kyle Turris||38||Justin Faulk||46|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:50||Justin Faulk||24:57|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||49.9%||18th||50.4%||15th|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||50.1%||16th||49.3%||21st|