The Ottawa Senators continue to pull out narrow victories despite continuing to struggle to score. They won 2-1 in a shootout against the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday to snap a two-game losing streak. It was also the sixth consecutive game that Ottawa scored exactly one regulation goal against the opposition goaltender. Their record in those six games? 4-2-0.
Tonight they will play against actual Norris Trophy winner Drew Doughty and the Los Angeles Kings. The Kings lost 4-1 in Montréal last night and are 7-7-0 for the year.
Here is how Ottawa is expected to lineup.
Ryan - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Turris - Smith
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Puempel - Kelly - Blunden/Neil
Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - Claesson
Some notes for tonight:
- Ottawa is a bit of an odd team. They have a positive shot differential despite being ranked near the bottom in adjusted Fenwick and not having a lot of power play time either.
- The answer is likely in Ottawa spending a decent amount of time leading and having one of the higher Fenwick percentages when leading by one or two.
- The Erik Karlsson points watch is now at three points in nine games. Can you guys enjoy wins without him scoring?
- Four out of Ottawa's eight wins have been after regulation. With some worse luck they could easily be 4-5-4 or 6-5-2.
- It is only 1/6th of the way through the season, but the early verdict on the Brassard trade has to be disappointing right?
- Ottawa's goaltending has been just absurdly good. If you told me that Mike Condon would allow one goal in 125 minutes, I would be...surprised.
- The Senators struggling offence will play the #1 defensive team in the Kings, who allow the fewest shots in the league. On the other hand the Kings will start Jeff Zatkoff who is allowing over four goals per game./
Here are some stats for the two teams tonight. All stats are from NHL.com except Corsi and Fenwick are from www.puckon.net.
|Goals||Kyle Turris||6||Jeff Carter||5|
|Assists||Erik Karlsson||7|| |
|Points||Erik Karlsson||10||Jeff Carter||10|
|Shots||Mike Hoffman||47||Tyler Toffoli||50|
|Average Ice time||Erik Karlsson||26:45||Drew Doughty||27:08|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Corsi %||45.8%||28th||55.7%||2nd|
|Event, Score and venue adjusted Fenwick %||47.8%||26th||54.3%||4th|