The Ottawa Senators announced today they re-signed pending UFA Zack Smith to a four year contract, with an average annual value of $3.25 million.
After scoring two goals in last night’s game in vs the Blue Jackets and scoring a career high 25 goals last season, Smith won’t become a UFA until after 2020-21, at which point he’ll be 33 years old. This is a significant upgrade over the $1.88 mill. he’s making this year. The salary will be the same in all four years.
Smith is no longer scheduled to be a UFA at the end of the season, shutting down all potential trade rumours. Congrats Zack!
Update: Per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Smith’s extension includes a limited no-trade clause. Details have not been revealed as to what it is, although this does not protect him from the expansion draft.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team