Well, here it is; WIML has finally grown up and burst out of its cocoon. It is into the wild now, and I intend to use scenarios from all over the league as well as a few more with Senator ties.
Yesterday wasn't much of a serious WIML, more of a Daniel Alfredsson celebration, as I put in an option that was just begging for you to choose it. Nonetheless, with about 80% of the vote most of you said that Alfie's impact to the team would not be measured in points this season. I Still Miss Hossa put it the best:
In terms of the other two options, more of you thought Alfie would eclipse 35 assists instead of scoring 25+ goals. Chocolate Covered Spezzle put that argument best:
With that one behind us, I bring you the first league-wide Which is More Likely. Today we look at two teams that have been in the news quite a bit lately: The New York Rangers and the Columbus Blue Jackets, as they recently completed a trade that saw Rick Nash find a new home. The question today is this:
Which is more likely? That the Rangers finish first in the East OR that Columbus finishes last in the West?
Rangers: With a top-6 when healthy of Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan and either Chris Kreider or Carl Hagelin to go along with their stud d-core and top goaltender, it is not unreasonable to think the Rangers have a good chance of repeating as East champs.
Blue Jackets: The Blue Jackets were dismal last year and while they are not the same team that entered the 2011-2012 season, I am not sure that they are any better. Gone are Rick Nash and Jeff Carter, in are Brandon Dubinsky and Nick Foligno. Yikes. They have a growing group of d-men but their goaltending is far from solidified. It could be another basement year for Howson and Co.
So, which is more likely? Looking forward to a good debate here today. Maybe you think both are likely, maybe you think neither but the point is which is MORE likely.
Links after the jump.
- Alfie is looking to guys like Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne for inspiration as he looks to play better than ever at the age of 40. [Sens]
- WTYKY does a hilarious roundtable on "the return of the king" [WTYKY]
- It was hinted yesterday that even though he is back for this season, don't assume it will be his swan song, he could keep playing. [SensExtra]
- Wayne Scanlan catches up with Eugene Melnyk in London at the Olympics to talk about the Alfie news. [Scanlan]
- According to Shawn Simpson (not sure how credible he is) the Senators are in on Bobby Ryan. Interesting idea. [6thSens]
- NHLPA received 76000 pages of financials from the NHL so that it could better understand the revenue sharing situation before countering with their own proposal. Seems to me that may take a while to sift through. [CBC]
- The New Jersey Devils begin NHL.com's 30 teams in 30 days segment. How will the Devils deal with the loss of Parise? [NHL]
- Puck Daddy looks at the top-7 remaining free agents. After Shane Doan, it is all downhill. [PD]
Which is more likely?
|Rangers finish 1st in the East||117|
|Jackets finish last in the West||217|