Silver Nuggets: Which is More Likely Series: Anderson vs Karlsson
Yesterday was the first experiment with a true three-way WIML, and it had it's growing pains. I asked who was most likely to be 2nd behind Erik Karlsson for points by a d-man next season and provided three options: Brian Campbell, Alex Pietrangelo and Kris Letang. 63% of you went with the flow-man from the Penguins, but some of you would have liked to see Mike Green, Dustin Byfuglien or even Lubomir Visnovsky included. That's without anyone suggesting Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith. Goes to show how many strong offensive d-men there are in the league right now. Yesterday belonged to Kris Letang though, and user dspin02 put it best:
I wanted to vote for Pietrangelo, I think he is more talented, but the fact is that St. Louis plays a much more defensive game and they just don’t score as often as the penguins.
Therefore, while I prefer Pietrangelo, and Campbell, in every way over Letang, I think he ends up with more points. The guys he shares the ice with put a lot of pucks in the net. More than Florida or St. Louis.
Today we go back to the roots of WIML and pit two of Ottawa's most important players against each other: Craig Anderson and Erik Karlsson. Without any more messing around, here is today's question:
Which is more likely? That Craig Anderson finishes the season in the top-ten for goalie wins OR that Erik Karlsson finishes the season in second in points on the Senators?
Anderson: Finished last season tied for 10th spot in wins with Ilya Bryzgalov, grabbing 33. Add one or two to that total and he should find himself inside the top ten, but that is only if guys like Cam Ward and Ryan Miller stay on the outside looking in.
Karlsson: There were times last season when it looked like Karlsson might end up scoring more points than Jason Spezza, instead he finished 6 points back of Spezza for the team lead, but 18 points ahead of Milan Michalek for 2nd. Will he finish next season in the same spot?
Let's here your wonderful ideas!
- Amelia takes us back in time to look at the history of the #11 for the Senators. Cannot think of anybody cool who has worn it, other than Jarmo Kekalainen. [SSS]
- charliec_124 gives us the chance to look forward to the next Olympics and predict which Senators will be there in this excellent fan post. [SSS]
- The Senators website is doing player spotlights on all the returning players for this season, looking at what they accomplished last year. They start with Daniel Alfredsson, which seems like a good place to start. [Sens]
- Nichols gets to transcribing an interview with Tim Murray on the Team in which he talks Bobby Butler and prospects in Lake Placid. [6thSens]
- BIG DAY in labour negotiations. NHLPA will counter-propose. How far off they are will determine whether we see hockey this year. [CBC]
- Max Pacioretty signs himself a healthy contract after his coming out party last season. [PD]
- Canada-Russia challenge game three was a close one, but ultimately won by the Russians. [NHL]
Which is More Likely?
|Anderson finishes in top-10 in wins in the league||86|
|Karlsson finishes 2nd in team scoring for the Sens||175|