Welcome to day 8 (!) of the WIML Senators prediction series! Yesterday's question concerning Marc Methot and Milan Michalek was probably our most debated yet, so here is hoping I can come up with a few more that are close. On day 7, you decided that it was more likely that Marc Methot lead the team in SH TOI than it was that Milo would lead the team in goals. I won't screw this up today (sorry Manny and BigSlice), so I will correctly tell you that Chocolate Covered Spezzle put it best by saying:
Today we look at the two Senator grey beards, the only two Senators to play 1000 games with the team; Captain Daniel Alfredsson and assistant captain Chris Phillips. As a disclaimer; I expect that Alfie will win in a landslide, because it will be hard for you to look at an Alfie question objectively, but I DID say I would do one for each player on the roster, and I truly think he will be back.
With that said, here is today's question:
Which is more likely? That Daniel Alfredsson finishes top 4 in points on the team OR that Chris Phillips averages at least 18 minutes per night?
Alfie: Last season the Captain came back with a vengeance, showing the league that even after a season of serious injuries, he could still play scoring 59 points, good for 4th on the team behind only Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Milan Michalek. Coming back at 40, can he produce at that level with Kyle Turris, Jakob Silfverberg and others looking to put up points?
Phillips: The only remaining d-man from the Senators of old, Chris still managed to average almost 20 minutes a season last year, despite playing in a more sheltered role that suited his game much better. With a seemingly younger version of himself here in Methot and Jared Cowen always looking for a bigger role, how much will Chris' minutes fall?
There you have it, let us know which is MORE likely!
Next up, all your links!
- The WTYKY guys let you know what they think of the Kaspars Daugavins resigning. It truly is the summer. But this is a good read! Do it! [WTYKY]
- Here is the official Panzeri article about the signing, with a few generic quotes from Tim Murray [SensExtra]
- Nichols sheds a tear (NOT) about the Senators "missing out" on Rick Nash. Personally, I think the Blue Jackets would have been better off with the Sens package (if we'd added a 1st rounder), but WHAT DO I KNOW? In the end, it is probably for the best, but I don't fancy playing him 4 times next season. [6thSens]
- Here is the Puck Daddy story on Nash's reaction to the trade. I'm surprised it is not just 4 paragraphs with YIPEEE in caps. [PuckDaddy]
- An article with a Florida Panthers comparison for the Blue Jackets. I understand where they are going with this, but I think the Panthers had more talent, and much weaker competition than the Blue Jackets will this year. One thing we can agree on is that the Blue Jackets will need to do things by committee this season. [CBC]
- One of the players who played a big part on that Panthers team was Kris Versteeg, who signed a 4-year extension yesterday, just over 4 million a season. [NHL]
- Weird story of the week, one month after being traded to the New York Islanders, Lubomir Visnovsky claims he had a no trade clause and files a grievance. [PD]
- Some thoughts from Donald Fehr on the negotiations so far. [CBC]
Which is more likely?
|Daniel Alfredsson finishes top 4 in points
|Chris Phillips plays averages least 18 minutes per game