David Rundblad and Jakob Silfverberg had to settle for silver medals at the IIHF World Championship yesterday as Finland blew by Sweden in the third period for a 6-1 win. The game was tied 1-1 after two periods before the Finns exploded in the final period. Rundblad played 18:26 and had two shots while Silfverberg played 13:04 and had three shots. Both players were even on the night, which is pretty impressive in a 6-1 loss in which five of the Finland goals were on even strength. Earlier in the day, Milan Michalek and the Czech Republic captured the bronze medal with a 7-4 win. Michalek had 1 shot, was a -2 and played 14:11.
Here are today's links, brought to you by Peter Raaymakers, our eternal leader. Hail Peter!
General Sens News
- After seeing the chemistry between Jason Spezza and Rick Nash while playing for Canada, here is a discussion of a trade for Rick Nash involving Milan Michalek, David Rundblad, our 6th overall pick and our 35th overall pick. Personally, I think that's just a huge overpayment for someone who has topped 70 points once in his career and is making $7.8 million a year until 2018. (The 6th Sens)
- In a mock draft, with the sixth overall pick, Senshot selected Ryan Strome. Edmonton fans had picked Adam Larsson, Colorado had Gabriel Landeskog, Florida selected Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, New Jersey selected Jonathan Hubderdeau and and the Islanders took Sean Couturier. (Too Many Men)
- Here are some more coaching candidates for the Senators. Missing from the list is Pavel Bure. Note, I have no logical reason for wanting him as our coach. (Hendricks Hockey)
- A reported leak of the Senators logo for their 20th anniversary season. (Sens Town)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
- After Finland defeated their bitter rivals Sweden to become World Champions, their fans celebrated. Instead of burning police cars like Montreal fans, they jumped around in their underwear in the cold fountain water. (Yahoo!)
- As many of you may have heard, Derek Boogaard sadly passed away. The cause of his death is unknown, but an autopsy will reveal clues in the coming weeks. The fans of Boogaard's former team, the Minnesota Wild, held a memorial for him last night. (Yahoo!)
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team