The Ottawa Senators are officially dead last in the NHL. The last time the Senators finished last in the NHL, they drafted Chris Phillips first overall in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft. The Senators are now seven points behind the Colorado Avalanche and New York Islanders. I think it is safe to hope for wins, unless you REALLY want first instead of second. In my opinion, a decent finish would do better for the kids than one extra draft spot.
The Nashville Predators also continue to lose. They had a strong start with Mike Fisher, going 2-0-1 in his first three games. Since then, the Predators have lost six out of eight, going 2-5-1. They are now 11th in the Western Conference and are currently slated to give us the 12th overall pick. The 12th place team has a 1.1% probability of winning the lottery, but it can happen...11 out of a 1000 times! That would be the best case scenario for the Senators, if the Predators were to win the lottery giving us two top 10 picks without a trade.
Including the 2nd round picks, the Senators currently have the 1st overall pick (Ottawa's), 12th (Nashville's), 31st (Ottawa's), 52nd (Chicago's) and 57th (Boston's) plus the lower round picks.
Here are today's links:
General Sens News
- Eugene Melnyk might come out with a lot of bold statements, but nevertheless, we are very lucky to have him. Not many other small market teams (sorry, but it is a small market) have an owner willing to spend whatever it takes, scoreboard notwithstanding. Here is a look at Eugene Melnyk's importance to the Senators. (Citizen)
- Barry Brust played again last night. Good thing we sent Robin Lehner down to get all this experience eh? Lehner has now not played for 17 days while being completely healthy. (pressconnects.com)
The rest of the links are after the jump because I babbled too much at the start.
- The most important aspect of the remaining games is to see how the young kids do. While they won't win a spot on next year's team right now, it can't hurt to play well down the stretch. (Citizen)
- As mentioned, the Senators are in last place. Also, Bryan Murray finds it hard to pass on Adam Larsson given the first pick. This scares me a little bit. (Sun)
- For all you Zack Smith lovers, here is a Zack Smith article. Does he care that he had an article written about him? Probably not. (Sun)
- A look at Senators fans' first round pick elect and longtime Senator fan, Gabriel Landeskog's game in Ottawa yesterday against the 67s. (Sun)
- Lastly, Craig Anderson likes corvettes. For shame, Craig, for shame. Get a prius! (Sun)
General Hockey News
- For the legal types among you, i.e. DarrenM and AlfieGirl, and the ex-Phoenixites, i.e. Mark Parisi, and the Bettman haters, i.e. Hockey Playoff Run SensFan: The city of Glendale is suing the Goldwater Institute for stalling the Coyotes sale. (TSN)
- The Philadelphia Flyers are falling apart, and our Sens started it. (Yahoo!)
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team