Thanks to Alex Kovalev, there is a lot of Sens stuff being written in the Ottawa media these days. If we take Kovalev at his word, a lot of the reaction is being written while not entirely sober. Also, there is only a little more than a month left until the rookie tournament in Oshawa! How will the likes of David Rundblad, Mika Zibanejad, Jared Cowen, etc. perform compared to the development camp in June? Presumably, King Robin will also be present.
Here are today's links:
- A summary of some of the Ottawa media's reaction to Alex Kovalev's comments. Bruce Garrioch, starts paragraphs with "The overpaid winger added... " Well, alright then. (The 6th Sens)
- And here is Garrioch's rant in full. (Ottawa Sun)
- As well as the reaction in Ottawa's other major paper. (Ottawa Citizen)
- The 6th Sens feel Kovalev's comments had "some truth, some fabrication and some omission" which they equate to his presence in the Ottawa lineup. (The 6th Sens)
- Meanwhile, with Kovalev gone, the Ottawa media and the Ottawa fans are going to need a new scapegoat. Here the potential candidates are: Sergei Gonchar, Nikita Filatov, Chris Phillips, Craig Anderson or Jason Spezza. I am shocked Filip Kuba wasn't on this list, he seems to be blamed a lot. Also, I don't think the media will ever turn on Phillips, since he works with the local charities and all. (Senshot)
- Speaking of Spezza, he likes the changes made to the club and acknowledges that wins won't be easy to come by for the Senators. (Ottawa Sun)
- More on Spezza, as he was spending a day at a rink in Vaughan, a Toronto suburb. He still comes to Jari Byrski's Sk8On hockey school, where Spezza, along with Steven Stamkos among others, have learned to stick handle. (Toronto Star)
- A season review of everybody's favourite topic, Filip Kuba, his final grade being a D-. (Senshot)
- Mike Brophy from Sportsnet feels the Senators are starting their rebuild from scratch. I wouldn't quite agree with that, I think the Senators do have a number one centre in Jason Spezza and a number one pairing defenceman in Erik Karlsson along with some other promising players. (Sportsnet)
Who do you think will become the Ottawa media's scapegoat for the upcoming season?
|Nikita Filatov, he's Russian you know||52|
|Sergei Gonchar, he's also Russian you know||103|
|Jason Spezza, sometimes he turns a puck over||32|
|Filip Kuba, it's fashionable to blame him||89|
|Craig Anderson, he's a goalie.||22|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team