After Jakob Silfverberg's three point night yesterday and game-winning goal for the Ducks in Game 2, there's some bitterness in Sens land, especially because Bobby Ryan happens to be slumping at the same time.
Here's the gif of the slick Silfver pass:
That sent a lot of us into this mode:
Don't think about the Silfverberg-Ryan trade Don't think about the Silfverberg-Ryan trade Don't think about the Silfverberg-Ryan trade Don't— Bonk's Mullet (@BonksMullet) April 21, 2015
However, there's a couple ways to respond in a pro-Sens way. First, in terms of raw production, our good friend Luke Peristy points this out:
This doesn't account for Ryan's injury either. There are legitimate concerns for Bobby Ryan though - his age, the fact that his shot rate has dropped consistently year-to-year, the fact that he's never been a possession driver.
In addition, there's also this angle:
Only reason(s) people can bemoan the Ryan trade is that it was principally driven by PR and prematurely deviated from rebuild.— The 6th Sens (@6thSens) April 21, 2015
Are you worried about Ryan's lack of production, or do you think that his leadership, solid second-line point production, and overall game suits this team?
- Well... things haven't gone well since the last Nuggets. Here are your recaps from Friday night's Game 2. [Silver Seven, Rank the Performances, S7 Staff Hotstove, Ottawa Citizen, SensChirp]
- With Craig Anderson in net for Game 3, the Senators took the Habs to overtime, but lost to go down 0-3 in the series. [Silver Seven, Rank the Performances, S7 Staff Hotstove, WTYKY, Ottawa Citizen, SensChirp, SenShot]
- Regarding the series deficit, Ross has a nice piece on why it stings so much, even though many of us are happy that the Sens even made it in the first place. User AssaultOnTheSENSes has a nice fanpost that touches on this as well. [Silver Seven, Fanpost]
- After a season of ups and downs, the Senators need one more near-impossible climb to emerge victorious in this series. [Ottawa Citizen]
- Trevor analyzes one of the major trends of the series: despite Erik Karlsson and co. playing well, the depth of the team (especially the third pairing) is costing the Senators hockey games. [SenShot]
- Lots of reaction to the story about two fans being harassed during Game 2 at the Bell Centre. They sat in Eugene Melnyk's suite for Game 3. [Ottawa Citizen]
- Nichols looks at the "Young & Hungry" angle, and what it means regarding the roster construction of this team. [6th Sens]
- A roster update on Chris Phillips (!!!!) for the first time in forever. It appears that he was playing through a back injury all season, and had surgery a couple days ago to get himself ready for the start of next season. Jack and Nichols look at whether Phillips can contribute to next season's club, or if he's just taking up a roster spot. [SenShot, 6th Sens]
- Ken Warren has five excellent thoughts on the Senators, including updates on Jared Cowen and the Sens RFA situation. [Ottawa Citizen]
- Jeff, formerly from SenShot, is now doing BSens coverage for Silver Seven! He wrote about potential Black Aces here, and the Senators listed Chris Wideman, Shane Prince, Buddy Robinson, and Fredrik Claesson as healthy scratches for Game 3. [Silver Seven]
- Speaking of Wideman, he's set to become an unrestricted free agent this year. One of the cons of going on this run is that the Senators were unable to see what he could potentially bring at the NHL level. [6th Sens]
- For their season finale, the BSens shut out Rochester. A positive end to a disappointing season. Jeff has his final grades for the offense, and then defense + goaltenders. [Silver Seven - v. Rochester, Offense grades, D/G grades]
- Don't distress! Ian's fantastic coverage is still staying at Silver Seven. Here he is on the prospects currently playing in the OHL playoffs. [Silver Seven]
- In case you missed it, the Edmonton Oilers won the draft lottery... again. Nichols takes a look at the implications for the Senators, who have been linked to the Oilers in trade rumours for a while (goaltender? - see SenShot piece) [6th Sens, SenShot]
- Your End-of-Nuggets audio features the Sens Callups gang, who have their thoughts on the Sens-Habs series thus far. [Sens Callups]/