While that title might sound excited, it's actually the title of a Walt Whitman Elegy about the death of Abraham Lincoln. The Sens captaincy might still have a subtle, elegiac tone it it, but in the coming days the franchise will move forward together, "united in red" etc. With the Ottawa Senators set to name their next captain soon, today's Nuggets look back at captain's past:
- Laurie Boschman: 1992-1993. Captain during the inaugural season, Boschman retired after one season in the capital.
- Mark Lamb (Oct-Mar), Brad Shaw (Oct-Mar), Gord Dineen (Mar-Apr): 1993-1994. No offense to any of these guys, but rotating captaincies are stupid, just ask the Minnesota Wild. Rotating the C has a way of undermining whoever is wearing it. Do not go this route again.
- Randy Cunneyworth: 1995-1998. The runner-up. Solid production and a reliable leader. Calm before the storm.
- Alexei Yashin: 1998-1999. He was stripped of his captaincy. That makes him the worst captain in team history and it's not even close.
- Daniel Alfredsson: 1999-2013. Still feeling all of the feelings./
- Training camp photos: Day One [Senators Extra] [Radek Bonk's Mullet] Day Two [Senators Extra]
- Scott takes a look at Cory Conacher [6th Sens]
- Mark takes a look at the Sens probable second line right wingers [Silver Seven]
- Jared Crozier hopes Jason Spezza's career has a similar trajectory to Steve Yzerman's [SenShot]
- Erik Karlsson is the favourite to win the Norris this season [Senators Extra]
- Joe Corvo on re-joining the Sens [Inside the Senate]
- A look at the Sens blueline, focusing on Marc Methot, with Karlsson and Jared Cowen info [Senators Extra]
- Fan Fest 2013 is scheduled for next Saturday [Senators]
- Captaincy still up for grabs [Senators Extra]
- Paul MacLean's lines in constant flux [Yost]
- AP Chem with Spezza, Ryan, and Michalek [Senators Extra] [Inside the Senate] [CBC]
- Comparing unsigned defensemen Cody Franson, Alex Pietrangelo, and Jared Cowen [SenShot]
- The Sens are no closer to signing Jared Cowen [Senators Extra] Tim Murray talks Cowen negotiations (audio) [Senators Extra]
Bob MacKenzie breaks down the Sens [TSN]
- new Senator Bobby Ryan is featured on the cover of Sportsnet's magazine this week [Sportsnet]
- Mark likes trades. He wants to trade for Thomas Vanek [Silver Seven] and suspects someone will be on the move [Silver Seven]
- Travis Yost had a twitter exchange with Marc Methot about advanced stats yesterday which was pretty cool; here's his take on Marc Methot and Corsi% [Yost]
- Nichols proposes an Erik Karlsson photoshop contest, you still have a couple of days to enter [6th Sens]
- Kyle Turris talks Clarke MacArthur [Inside the Senate]
- The guys at SensNation released their 3rd podcast episode "A Mullet Among Us" featuring our very own RBM [SensNation]
- Like stamps? Canada Post released Sens stamps, I am not a fan of the artwork [Inside the Senate]/
- Will re-signing Dan Cleary cause Tomas Tatar to bolt to the KHL? [Octopus Thrower]
- Dan P. wonders when Columbus fans will find out who is the next captain, we feel your pain [The Cannon]
- Normal Goaltending Development by draft round [Raw Charge]
- Unfortunately, Joni Pitkanen will miss the entire 2013-2014, but it does mean that a decent defenseman Ron Hainsey, an active NHLPA member during the lockout, finally gets inked to a deal [Canes Country]
- J.J. from Kansas continues his "Getting to Know the CBA" with Episode 14 - Pensions [Winging It In Motown]
- We had a young, Norris-winner as our top prospect under 25, and so do the Canadiens [Eyes on the Prize]
- The Islanders introduce themselves to Brooklyn, for a day at least [Lighthouse Hockey]
- Derek Stepan's absence will be felt [Blueshirt Banter]
- What should be expected from Ray Emery? [Broad Street Hockey]
- Advanced stats and Anaheim Ducks hockey [Anaheim Calling]
- Trying to be optimistic in Calgary [Matchsticks and Gasoline]
- Derek Zona talks timely goaltending [Copper & Blue] and Steve Tambellini's worst move [Copper & Blue]
- Five questions facing the San Jose Sharks [Fear the Fin]
- 20 preseason Hobey Baker candidates: from the Big Ten [Western College Hockey] from the ECAC Hockey League [Western College Hockey] from Hockey East [Western College Hockey] from the NCHC [Western College Hockey]
- Jamie Benn wants to play a puck possession game in Dallas [Defending Big D]
- Dave Lozo talks 3-on-3 overtime [Backhand Shelf]
- Some advice from Sens fans: an open letter to Blues GM Doug Armstrong regarding Alex Pietrangelo's contract [St Louis Game Time]
- Cam Charron talks regression and Nazem Kadri [The Leafs Nation]
- Dimitri Filipovic looks at how Torts will use his top-4 defensemen [Canucks Army]
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson has paper work trouble and Tim Thomas and Bryzgalov in Florida? [Backhand Shelf]/
Springsteen Song of the Day
With the Boss' birthday coming up in a few weeks, we should all spend some time listening to his extensive catalog. Today's suggestion? "Dancing in the Dark" one of my all-time favourite Bruce songs. Forget Masters of the Universe (1987), the video for this song is Courtney Cox's greatest performance.
Another shout out for our Silver Seven game nights, specifically the home opener. Email me at the address on my profile if you are interested. Payment is with Interac E-transfer.
Home opener, Thursday 17 October 2013 against New Jersey Devils.(Sold all 40 tickets)
- 19 October, 2:00 p.m. Edmonton Oilers. There are 9 seats left and end of September deadline.
- 21 December, 2:00 p.m. Phoenix Coyotes. There are 11 seats left, end of November deadline.
- 23 December, 7:30 p.m. Pittsburgh Penguins There are 6 seats left, end of November deadline.
All games will be in Section 323 and some where in Rows J, K, L and M. All games will be $40 (about $20 cheaper than if you buy the same tickets yourself).