Remember last week when Bryan Murray wanted to add at the deadline? Well he was speaking of that again yesterday, but now Murray specifies that while the depth is okay, the Senators need to add a substantial piece at the deadline. So what could this piece be? I am assuming a backup goalie, while a substantial improvement to Alex Auld, isn't what he means.
- Star rentals: Zach Parise is an unrestricted free agent after this season, but the price will be likely very high for a rental. Ryan Suter is also an unrestricted free agent while Shea Weber is an restricted free agent, but the asking price will again be very high, I see almost a zero chance of the Sens trading for either defenceman. Also, both the Devils and Predators are in a playoff spot. While I would love to see Alexander Semin in Ottawa (I am alone in this I realise), I would prefer that be in the summer rather than via a trade.
- Bobby Ryan: Ryan has been linked in trade rumours for a while. He is 24-years old, has three more years at $5.1 million and has had three consecutive 30-goal seasons and is on way to a fourth. He has a better pedigree than Phil Kessel did at the time of his trade, so the price would be very, very high.
- Other rentals: Teemu Selanne, Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, Ryan Smyth, Pavel Kubina are all older players that are free agents.
- Kyle Turris type trade: Murray might be looking to trade one prospect for another. This might involve trading players like Stéphane Da Costa, Matt Puempel and/or draft picks. Mika Zibanejad might even be a candidate.
Cap space is not an issue, the Senators currently have over $12 million in cap space and with over half the season done, Ottawa could probably take on $20 million of salary for this season. Bryan Murray must be careful to not trade valuable assets for rentals to help a team that is not among the elite.
- Everyone predicts a loss tonight except Steve Lloyd. Peter said 4-2 Sharks. (Senators Extra)
- Game preview for tonight. (Senators Extra, Fear the Fin)
- Daniel Alfredsson is very happy about being named on of the captains for the all-star game and looks forward to going up against former team-mate Zdeno Chara. Alfredsson has already announced Erik Karlsson will be his first pick because Karlsson is great and because Alfie's children will be disappointed if he doesn't. I assume he wasn't referring to Karlsson as one of his children. (Senators Extra)
- Brian Burke is happy Dion Phaneuf responded to the 'cheap hit' by Nick Foligno. (Senators Extra)
- The Senators are heading west this year in a much better position than last year. They are in fifth place, on a great run and have some good prospects waiting in the wings. Plan the parade down...Bank Street for 2014? (Ottawa Citizen)
- Five reasons for the Senators multiple wins despite falling behind early. (Ottawa Sun)
- Patrick Wiercioch returned to practise today. Great to see. (Joy Lindsay)