Silver Nuggets: Light a Mup/Merry Christmas Edition
Jim Henson's Muppets have a long association with Christmas. Beginning in 1979, the Muppets have participated in four Christmas TV movies, the best of which, A Muppet Family Christmas, is regrettably impossible to find on TV or in stores anymore. The first theatrical Muppet movie produced after the death of Henson and muppeteer Richard Hunt was The Muppet Christmas Carol; the excellent film is my favourite adaptation of Charles Dickens's classic nineteenth-century story.
Mups have a much more brief association with the Ottawa Senators. It all started with the February, 2013 release of "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" by Fall Out Boy. By the beginning of the 2013-2014 season, the song had become a clichéd hockey anthem, adopted by at least a dozen teams in the NHL, including the Senators. The Sens used the song as the soundtrack to a commercial featuring the team's beat-down of the Montreal Canadiens in the 2013 playoffs. Part of the team's marketing campaign the ad was featured at least 65 times a game early in the season. Twitter responded with the "light a mup" slogan, naturally.
But then something happened that the Sens online community didn't anticipate. The Sens produced a fantastic holiday greeting video. The take on "The 12 Days of Christmas" featured Senators Clarke MacArthur and Zack Smith singing about "five lit mups".
Released on Monday, the Sens played the East-leading Pittsburgh Penguins that night and proceeded to win, with "five lit mups". The legend grows.
It is inevitable then that we ask "which Senator is most like which Muppet?" It's easy and it goes something like this: Colin Greening = Kermit because it's not easy being (Green)ing.
Janice (the one that looks like Joni Mitchell)
Feel free to submit your suggestions in the comment section! Finally, from the crew at Silver Seven, have a very Merry Christmas if you're celebrating, have a relaxing day off if you're not, and if you have to work, hang in there, the World Juniors start tomorrow!
- Ottawa beat Pittsburgh 5-0 on Monday night. It was great so read another recap [SenShot]
- Travis Yost discusses the possibility of Ottawa getting an outdoor game in 2017 [Yost]
- Merry Christmas from the folks at Radek Bonk's Mullet! Chet writes a Christmas Carol, Senators style [Radek Bonk's Mullet]
- Latest Sens podcasts: from Sens Call-Ups episode 214 "The Youth Movement" [Sens Underground] from SensNation episode 12 "The Holiday Special" [SensNation]/
- The World Junior Championships starts tomorrow. Here's a list of 10 players to watch [The Hockey Writers] A look at the USA's goaltending [The Hockey News]
- Gary Bettman upheld Shawn Thornton's 15-game suspension [The Score] [Puck Daddy] [SB Nation NHL]
A slideshow of Canada's former World Juniors captains [Yahoo Sports]
- Mike Smith scored/let in a butt goal [SB Nation NHL] It's been set to music [Puck Daddy]
- An in-depth look at Seth Jones's first season in the NHL [The Hockey News]
- Former Sens goalie Brian Elliott talks about what it takes to become an elite goaltender [In Goal Magazine]
- Justin Bourne looks at the 10 worst defensive meltdowns in 2013 [The Score]
- Top 10 jersey fouls of 2013 [Puck Daddy]
- Matt Larkin breaks down the Top 10 trades of 2013 [The Hockey News]
- A look at mid-season numbers from across the league [Puck Daddy]
- Olympic talk is heating up; should Marc-Andre Fleury make the Canadian team? [Puck Daddy]
- Adam Proteau compiles the best NHL tweets of 2013 [The Hockey News]
- For the aspiring goalies reading this: a breakdown of the Three Point Star drill [In Goal Magazine]/