The NHL heads into its All-Star break with our Ottawa Senators in 13th place in the Eastern Conference and 27th overall in the NHL. That of course has them slated for the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NHL draft. The 26th place Maple Leafs are only one point ahead, but the 25th place Panthers are seven points ahead. So the Senators seem to have pretty good odds on a top five pick.
Here are today's links, a shortened version as I woke up at 3:30 in the morning to watch my favourite tennis player lose. I am delirious and going to bed soon!
General Sens News
- Erik Karlsson cannot wait to meet Nicklas Lidstrom. While Peter Regin thinks Karlsson might be picked first overall. Hey, I would do it. (Sun)
- Jason Spezza is targetting the February 5th game against the New York Islanders for his return. The Islanders are of course the only team the Senators beat in the thirteen games without Spezza. (Sun)
- Cory Clouston feels responsible for the Senators' struggles this season. While he is certainly partly responsible, there are also many others to blame. (Sun)
- Things have gotten so bad in the shootout, Chris Neil is being touted as a candidate. What the frak? (Sun)
- The players are happy to have a break. Jesse Winchester is going fishing while Peter Regin is going back in time to find himself in April, 2010. (Citizen)
- Robin Lehner was pulled after one period in a 4-3 loss by Binghamton. He allowed two goals on fifteen shots in the first period. (Pressconnects.com)
Other (two) hockey links after the jump.
General Hockey News
- Alexander Semin has signed a one year contract extension with the Washington Capitals for $6.7 million. I will now have to wait until 2012 until advocating signing Semin now. (Yahoo!)
- Meanwhile, the Phoenix Coyotes are in financial trouble again (though the NHL of course denies it). Also, the "first" 10,000 (ha!) fans in the arena will get a free Phoenix Coyotes blanket, as well as $1 beer, pop and hot dogs. (Yahoo!)
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team