Silver Nuggets: How About That Blueline?
I had to get it out of my system yesterday, but from now on it is all hockey talk all the time. Today, lets look at some serious blueline issues our favourite team is sure to have.
Hey remember Jared Cowen? That big tall guy that was taken when Bryan Murray swindled Brian Burke into drafting Nazem Kadri? That strong two-way defender who had an extremely solid rookie campaign? That kid that looks like he is frequently lost on the ice, but we love him anyways? He was one of the top candidates to take the place alongside that talented swedish kid... what's his name... oh ya, Erik Karlsson.
Anyways, we won't be seeing him. Not for a very long time. He hurt himself 3 games into Binghamton's season this year. So he's not going to play the big role we all imagined for him this year. That is a huge hole on the team's blueline, quite a bit bigger even than Cowen's 6'5 frame.
I know what you are thinking, "Dave, don't worry! We signed MIKE FREAKIN' LUNDIN this summer, we are going to be ACES" (I hope at least one of you was thinking that). But in case you've been hating hockey for the last little while and not paying attention to anything NHL-related, Mike Lundin will not be our saviour to start the season, he broke his finger while playing in Sweden.
For those keeping track at home, this is what the d-core looks like to start our "sprint to the finish" (TM- EVERYBODY WHO HAS BEEN QUOTED, STOP SAYING IT)
Erik Karlsson -- Marc Methot
Chris Phillips -- Sergei Gonchar
AHL Body -- AHL Body
Not very encouraging. We will have more on who could take these places, as well as some analysis on the existing pairings. But suffice it to say, this is not the ideal situation to start our shortened season.
- More great stuff from our site, Bobby gives you an update on the red-hot Binghamton Senators. [SSS]
- Mark cuts to the core, looks at the 5 big questions facing the Senators. [SSS]
- WTYKY does a preseason round table with a healthy amount of Jakub Silfverberg love and a strange amount of Chris Phillips bashing. [WTYKY]
- Daniel Alfredsson would be happy with 50 game seasons every year. He has a point, should be a wild season. [SensExtra]
- Bryan Murray was on the Team 1200 yesterday talking about training camp. Always love these transcribed interviews. [6thSens]
- In Senators prospect-land, Cody Ceci has been traded from the 67's to Owen Sound. [6thSens]
- Really cool article from Elliotte Friedman that outlines some strange wrinkles in the new CBA about cap penalties. [CBC]