To open the season, the Senators were already in a great place. They had more players playing during the lockout than any other team, including some of the team's most important players Jason Spezza, Milan Michalek, Kyle Turris and most importantly Erik Karlsson.
They also opened the season against the Winnipeg Jets, who, aside from being not that good anyways, had the least number of players playing during the lockout. That fact certainly helped the Sens on their way to a 4-1 victory. That game was followed by the home opener against a Florida Panthers team that did not look very good. Poor possession, only 4 shots in the first period and really only 1 or 2 good chances in the whole game.
This leads us to an interesting place. The Senators are now 2-0 for the first time since 2007 when then coach John Paddock rode his top line to an insane 13-1 start. Do I expect that? Of course not. But in any season, wins at the beginning are worth just as many points as the wins at the end. With Florida coming up on the schedule again tomorrow, followed by the Tampa Bay Lightning after that, the only really good team the Senators play this month are the Pittsburgh Penguins.
That friendly start to the schedule provides a great opportunity for our boys. Which game are you most looking forward to this month? What do you expect our January record to be?
- If you are new to the blog, you haven't got a chance to read one of Amelia's signature essays. As always, amazing to read. This one is about her favourite season - the last one. [SSS]
- #23 in our top 25 under 25, the man on the bench, Kaspars Daugavins [SSS]
- Another reminder of the Silver Seven Hockey Night being organized by Adnan. If you are interested please let him know!! [SSS]
- An article in the National Post about the early season success of Kyle Turris. [NP]
- Article about the Patrick Wiercioch and Kyle Turris friendship [SensExtra]
- Sad day as Robin Lehner is sent back to the farm, but his day will come and I know we are all excited about it. [6thSens]
- Biggest story of the day: MacLone was all a put on. Guy did it on purpose. Gotta admit, pretty funny stuff though. [6thSens]