With the Vancouver Canucks eliminating the Nashville Predators, one of the most boring series I have ever witnessed (not involving the New Jersey Devils) finally ended. It also meant that the Mike Fisher trade has been finalised and the Senators will receive the 21st overall pick in 2011 as well as a third round pick in 2012. Well, it still hasn't been completely finalised as the 2012 pick's position depends on the Predators performance next season. As a comparison, the Toronto Maple Leafs also received a first round (25th) and a third round pick for Kris Versteeg from the Philadelphia Flyers.
Anyway, with the lack of a consensus at the top of the draft, if moving up from sixth is too costly, it might be worthwhile to try to move up Nashville's pick instead of our own pick. Thanks to Nashville's loss, we are in a better position to move up. As another comparison, in 2008 we gave the Predators a third round pick to move up from 18th to 15th and draft Erik Karlsson. So moving from 21st to 15th might be something like giving up a second rounder and receiving a fourth rounder. With the Senators having five picks in the first two rounds, and two of the first 21 picks, they do have a lot of options.
General Sens News
- A comparison of the careers of Daniel Alfredsson and Jarome Iginla. One mistake in the article I will point out is that Iginla has 1006 points in 1106 games, not 1006 games as is written. So Alfredsson actually has 17 more points even though he has played 50 less games. Iginla does have far more goals though. But, in my very biased opinion, Alfredsson has been the better player. (Senshot)
- The Binghamton Senators are expected to have more help on the way on defence, with Eric Gryba returning for Game One and Patrick Wiercioch also closer to a return, though he won't likely play Game One. (Press & Sun-Bulletin)
- Some of the candidates for the five NHL clubs looking for coaches. Shockingly, the Senators have been linked with Dave Cameron. (Yahoo!)
More after the jump.
General Hockey News
The quarterfinals are set at the IIHF World Championships, with the Senators being represented with Jason Spezza, David Rundblad, Jakob Silfverberg, Milan Michalek and Ryan Shannon. Michalek did get injured in his last game against Russia though, so not sure if he will play.
The quarterfinals are:
- 1) Czech Republic versus 8) United States
- 2) Canada versus 7) Russia
- 3) Sweden versus 6) Germany
- 4) Finland versus 5) Norway
Here are some other links:
- As some of you may have heard yesterday, after Sean Avery expressed his support for same-sex marriage, an NHL agent came out with some very controversial comments. The agent's father, also the president of the sports agency, then came out with even more controversial remarks. (National Post)
- With the Canucks in the conference final for the first time in 17 years, a big part of that has been Ryan Kesler. Well, at least in the second round. Kesler finished with 0 goals and 4 assists against Chicago, but ran riot on Nashville with 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points in 6 games against the Predators. (Yahoo!)
- The Bruins might have to play without Patrice Bergeron, but Bruins fans think they have enough to get by the Tampa Bay Lightning without him. I would probably agree, but, funny stuff happens in a 4-7 game series. (Stanley Cup of Chowder)
What would you like the Senators to do with their draft picks?
|Trade up their 6th overall pick||49|
|Trade down their 6th overall pick||0|
|Trade up their 21st overall pick||82|
|Trade down their 21st overall pick||9|
|Keep them where they are||42|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team