Hi everyone! It's Friday! One week before a four day weekend. Woo hoo! Starting today, I am going to have trouble finding Ottawa Senators news. I'll post it as it comes, but it will mostly be general hockey stuff and Binghamton news.
In any case, I don't know about the rest of you, but playoff games are just not the same without Ottawa. I am in a bunch of playoff pools, so it kind of gives me something to cheer for. Also, in case any of you were wondering, this is how the Silver Seven members predicted the first round match-ups.
Here are today's links, brought to you by mangoes, the official fruit of the Silver Nuggets.
General Sens (Ottawa-ish) News
- Here is another Ottawa Senators report card. It is much more funny than the one on the Ottawa Sun. My personal favourite: Filip Kuba receiving a K-, Chris Phillips squeaking out an F+ while Pascal Leclaire receives F infinity. Also, that blog is going to need a new name. (Cory Clouston Fashion Review)
- The above link was the only Ottawa Senators link, but AlfieGirl did point out one that was kind of Ottawa-ish. Here is an article on how well Mike Fisher fits in with the Nashville Predators. (Globe and Mail)
- Brian Burke received a standing ovation at the University of Ottawa! No, it wasn't for being the Leafs general manager, but for his work in addressing homophobia in sports. Kobe Bryant will likely not receive such a standing ovation. (Sun)
- The Binghamton Senators lost Game One last night in Manchester. Read the recap by Joy Lindsay. She is my favourite American by the way (sorry Mark), she cheered for Canada in the 2010 Men's Gold Medal game! (Joy Lindsay)
- And here is Joy again, with her notes on Game Two after the morning skate. (Joy Lindsay)
- Here is a spreadsheet with everyone's picks for the Silver Seven Prediction competition. If you entered the player pool and would like to receive daily updates, or the login information to check the standings, email me at the address on my profile. (Adnan)
More after the jump.
Playoff and Genral NHL News
There are four NHL playoff games tonight:
- 8) New York Rangers at 1) Washington Capitals. Washington leads the series 1-0.
- 5) Tampa Bay Lightning at 4) Pittsburgh Penguins. Pittsburgh leads the series 1-0.
- 8) Chicago Blackhawks at 1) Vancouver Canucks. Vancouver leads the series 1-0.
- 5) Nashville Predators at 4) Anaheim Ducks. Nashville leads the series 1-0.
- My picks for tonight: Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver and Anaheim.
And here are more links:
- Pavel Datsyuk ends Alexander Ovechkin's 5-year reign on the Kharlamov Trophy for the best Russian NHL player as voted on by all active Russian NHL players. The funny part? Alexander Semin didn't vote for Ovechkin. HA! Ovechkin voted for Ilya Kovalchuk for some reason. Silly Alex! (Yahoo!)
- For the female bloggers on here (all four of you!), what is your equivalent of a playoff beard? (Yahoo!)
- Last night's three stars: 1) Ryan Miller, 2) Joe Pavelski, 3) Carey Price. (Yahoo!)
- Winnipeg is starting a season ticket drive. Because that worked out so well for Hamilton. (Yahoo!)
- Who will be the most hated player in the playoffs? Leading candidates are: Ben Eager, P.K. Subban, Daniel Carcillo, Corey Perry, Steve Downie, Maxim Lapierre, Brad Marchand and Patrick Kaleta. (TSN)
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team