So we have three weeks left in the hockey season, that is all! Sure, there are playoffs after, but is it really the same without the Senators? It's going to be a long, long off-season.
The Senators have 10 games left and have a total of 163 goals (if you don't include the shootout goal). The franchise record for the least goals in a full season is 191 in 1995-1996. So the Senators will need to get 29 goals to avoid breaking or equalling that mark. That is 2.9 goals/game, can we do it!?
Also, Fantasy Hockey playoffs are in full swing on Yahoo! leagues. Standard public head-to-head leagues started playoffs last week, and sadly I was eliminated after I tied 4-4 in my 1st round matchup due to losing the tiebreaker. Both Silver Seven leagues start their playoffs this week.
UPDATE: Craig Anderson was re-signed to a 4 years contract worth $12.75 million
Lastly, there will be a poll today about Anton24, so make sure you vote!
General Sens News
- Craig Anderson is re-signed to a four year contract for $12.75 million. The cap hit isn't bad but as with all Bryan Murray contracts, the term is long. Thankfully, Anderson didn't get a no-movement clause. (Silver Seven Sens)/
More after the jump.
- Craig Anderson should be ready to go on Tuesday. (Sun)
- Sergei Gonchar is likely done for the season. He's been our best defenceman (at least defensively) for the last 3 months. Hopefully he can come back strong next season and regain his offensive prowess. (Sun, Citizen)
- Is Scotiabank Place really quiet? A study of noise at Canadian rinks says not really. As expected, Montreal's boorish fans were the loudest, but the other Canadian clubs were more or less equal. Note, it only took samples from 1 game at each building. Each Western club as well as Toronto was measured when they hosted Ottawa, Montreal was measured hosting Toronto, and Ottawa was measured when they hosted Philadelphia (I went to that game!). (Citizen)
- Meanwhile, AlfieGirl's fantasy team should receive a boost as Milan Michalek is way ahead of schedule and is travelling with the team this week. (Ian Mendes)
- A look at Brian Lee's turnaround this season. He has gone from being a healthy scratch for 25 straight games to playing over 17 minutes a night for 16 straight games. (Citizen)
- Daniel Alfredsson, bless his heart, still wants to play this year. While it may seem pointless to risk his rehab for next season, Alfredsson feels it is important for himself to know that he can play in game conditions. I might disagree, but let Alfie do what he wants! He's Alfie. (Sun)
General Hockey News
- Arizona Senator and former U.S. Presidential candidate John McCain feels that keeping the Phoenix Coyotes in the state would be for the "greater good". (ESPN)
- Here is the latest dirty hit by Pittsburgh alternate captain, and presumable leader, Matt Cooke. (Yahoo!)
- Dominik Hasek wants to play one more year. Sadly for Mark, Hasek doesn't want to be a backup goalie so he will stay in Russia. (Yahoo!)
Many of you have read (and enjoyed) Anton24's weekly question and answer session on every Wednesday.But who is REALLY Anton24?
|It really is Anton Volchenkov||69|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team