Pierre Dorion has done it again!
As we wait for the Sens to lock up RFAs Shane Pinto and Egor Sokolov, Ottawa has gone ahead and locked up a core piece of their team for years to come.
Sanderson will make an average of $8.050M annually for the next eight years after this one. He's the latest in a long line of young Sens players to sign an 8x8 deal right out of their ELC, and so far none of those deals have blown up in the Sens' faces, so why not keep at it?
Sanderson was a steady presence on Ottawa's blueline in his rookie season, proving himself to be a solid shut-down defenseman who's able to contribute offensively. Watching him play, it was hard to believe that he was only 20 years old for most of the season.
Some outside of Ottawa might be confused by the term and AAV on the contract, but anyone who watched him play last year can see why the Sens wanted to lock him up now rather than later. Frankly, I'm shocked that Sanderson himself signed that extension now when there's a good chance he'll be worth more than that in a year's time.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team