While everyone was holding their breath to see if Anton Volchenkov will be signed to an extension by the Ottawa Senators, Bryan Murray decided to hand out a deal to another blueliner: Brian Lee. I didn't see it coming either, and I'm sure fellow writer Mark Parisi is even more shocked.
Mark's take: Holy crap!
Lee has been signed to a two-year contract, but there are no details as to whether it's a one-way or two-way deal. He split time between the AHL and NHL this season, playing 18 games with the big club. He was scheduled to be an RFA at the end of the year.
|2009 - Brian Lee||18||2||1||3||-2||8||0||0||0||0||21||9.5|
The signing of Lee makes for an interesting fight on the Senators blue line next season. The Senators now have 5 defensemen who have spent time in the NHL this season under contract for next year: Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Erik Karlsson, Matt Carkner, and Brian Lee. Chris Campoli will be a Restricted Free Agent on July 1st, while Anton Volchenkov and Andy Sutton are set to become Unrestricted Free Agents. 2009 First Round Draft pick Jared Cowen also recently signed an entry level deal and will be auditioning for a spot on the big club in September.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team