With the 47th pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, the Ottawa Senators have selected Alex Formenton from the OHL’s London Knights.
The 17-year-old is a fantastic skater with height on his side. Formenton recorded 16 goals and 18 assists in 65 games during his first season at the major junior level last year. The Senators nabbed him four spots behind where TSN’s Bob McKenzie had him slotted at the No. 43 spot.
Formenton plays left wing in London and is known to be a bit of a pest. His offensive numbers aren’t exactly overwhelming, but being one of the youngest players in this year’s draft, he has time to develop his skill set.
Did we mention he’s fast?
An example of Formenton's (OTT) speed. pic.twitter.com/WVRxANzNRB— (((Corey Pronman))) (@coreypronman) June 24, 2017
Yeah, he’s fast. Senators head coach Guy Boucher likely enjoys this selection. Speed, speed, speed.
Below is a video of Formenton’s highlights from his first season in the OHL.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team