NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly has suggested that the Ottawa Senators may have solid grounds to file a grievance with the NHLPA or Dany Heatley himself based on the fact that Heatley's trade demand may have compromised the contract signed, according to Sportsnet.
The grievance may be as simple as having any team which acquires Heatley (if he ever agrees to the trade that he demanded) to reimburse the Senators the $4M already paid to Heatley. It's unclear if a more significant grievance, such as one directly against Heatley, would be possible.
The cost which Heatley's demand and subsequent waffling has extended far beyond the $4M bonus paid to Heatley on July 1. When the demand was made public, it immediately lowered Heatley's trade value on an already timid market. When he refused to waive a trade to the Edmonton Oilers (and possibly other deals-in-principle that may have not come out), he did no favours to the Senators nor the Oilers. His uncertainty cost the Senators an opportunity to pursue other free agents, some of the best of whom are now off the market.
If those are grounds for a grievance directly against Heatley for significantly hampering the Senators' ability to ice a good team is uncertain, but even if the Senators did take such an avenue, it may be negative overall. A team that takes a player to court, no matter how extreme the circumstances, might not appear to be the top choice for players looking for new contracts.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team