We have a goaltending coach: The Ottawa Senators hired former NHL goaltender Rick Wamsley to work with the team's goalkeepers, according to reports. He replaces Eli Wilson, who was fired on January 13, 2010, and leaves the AHL's Peoria Rivermen to join the Sens.
Apparently Wamsley has worked with Pascal Leclaire in the past, so he has some knowledge of the Senators' highest-paid goaltender--although we're still not sure if he or Brian Elliott is the Senators' top goalie right now. Or even Robin Lehner, the rookie who appears bound for some AHL time this season.
When Wilson was hired, it was because he had an existing relationship with now-former goaltender Ray Emery. Hopefully this hire, also apparently based on a pre-existing relationship, works out better than that of Wilson.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team