Sens preseason finale ends with an exciting 4-3 OT Loss
The Habs can have this game, we’ll take the rest from here
It is the end of the meaningless season, which means soon enough the real excitement begins!
While we were hoping to see the final roster play tonight, it does seem we will have to wait a few more days but this is as close as it’ll get and it’s looking like it may be fun to watch.
The game started with some evenly played hockey between the two teams until the event that shook that entire period took place:
And you all wondered why the Sens extended Scott Sabourin!
The first period did have a physical aspect overall and a missed call on Brannstrom coupled with the Habs’ first goal by Phillip Danault left everyone a little more excited than they should be for a preseason game.
The game started to show its true potential in the second period when Tomas Tatar took a perfect feed from Brendan Gallagher and made it 2-0. Nilsson didn’t particularly impress tonight but he had absolutely no chance on that one. The Sens didn’t seem too bothered by the deficit and thought they had cut the lead to 2-1 when Vitaly Abramov scored a goal that was deemed a kicking motion. Shortly after, Bobby Ryan connected for a goal that certainly didn’t require any league review this time. The Max Domi show continued when Duclair stripped him off a puck shorthanded and scored a beauty of a tying goal that just sealed everyone’s love for THE Duke.
The third period was setting up to be a great end to the game with both teams exchanging chances and continuing their power play droughts. Filip Chlapik almost gave the Sens the win when he capitalized on a Carey Price giveaway and scored the 4-3 goal but Gallagher crushed our hopes and tied the game with less than a minute left. PRESEASON OT!
While it would’ve been great to see the Sens close the preseason with a win, that OT period was a great dose of entertainment. Both teams exchanged some extremely dangerous chances and we saw some fast paced hockey that gives us a little hope for the upcoming season. Veteran JG Pageau mishandled Nick Suzuki who got the game winner with a perfect wraparound and that was the end of the trial session for both teams.
- It’s said at every game but he deserves it, Brady Tkachuk is going to be phenomenal for this team; in the near and long term future.
- The next set of cuts will be a tough one but the two most prominent names are Logan Brown and Drake Batherson. Logan Brown may end getting a longer look up in the NHL but there is a sense that Batherson doesn’t look ready or maybe a bit nervous but he’s certainly not playing outstanding hockey right now. I’d still like to see him get a chance in Ottawa, maybe he’ll play better without the pressure of preseason cuts.
- It’s just one game and Nilsson has certainly played good hockey the past few games, I still have a little more faith in Anderson to start off the season.
- DJ Smith is winning many fans with the way the team is playing; it’s not about winning games or scoring goals but the general style of the team. They seem to be more quick on the puck, more creative with their plays and just playing an all around more cohesive game. It could be a honeymoon phase, but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts.
- Lastly, Anthony Duclair has the potential to be one of Ottawa’s biggest steals. His speed is incredible and his drive to get any scoring chance open to him is impressive and so much fun to watch, let’s hope this is a long term performance./