The problem I have is less with the numbers, and more with the logjam it presents for the Senators' blueline. Director of Player Personnel Pierre Dorion has stated unequivocally that David Rundblad will be a contributing member of the Ottawa Senators next season, while Jared Cowen is expected to make the team out of training camp as well. Chris Campoli is a Restricted Free Agent, and so if he is re-signed the blueline looks something like this:
Karlsson - Kuba
Campoli - Carkner
Lee - Rundblad
A little crowded, no?
Unfortunately, there was little choice. It's hard Obviously, this means that Bryan Murray is currently frantically trying to trade off some combination of Sergei Gonchar, Chris Campoli, Filip Kuba, Brian Lee, and Matt Carkner before the deadline. Out of that list, only Campoli looks to hold much value at this point. If no trades are possible before tomorrow's deadline, then perhaps the movement will happen in the offseason.
What are your thoughts on the signing?
|I think it's a good deal for both sides||157|
|I'm not a fan of the deal -- Phillips should be gone||62|
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team