Ottawa Senators Training Camp Check-In: Sept. 23rd
Let us begin!
It’s finally, FINALLY, here. That’s right, Ottawa Senators training camp is officially under way. We’re just days away from a pre-season game. Feels pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.
- Ottawa has released their full 54 player roster for training camp. We might as well get it out of the way early: Brady Tkachuk’s name is not on there. During his media availability, DJ Smith said that Nick Paul would slide into Tkachuk’s spot until a deal is worked out.
- Josh Brown has been sick the last couple of days, though has tested negative for COVID, and so Ottawa is bringing in Vincent Sevigny from Victoriaville to fill out the blueline spots.
- The Sens have divided the attendees into three teams. Lots to work out as camp goes on, but it does seem like Smith will stick to his promise to start the year with Thomas Chabot and Artem Zub together on the first pair.
- Although Dorion has said on several occasions since last season ended that he is in the market for an impact forward, there has been no such addition. The net effect is that the Sens are very unsettled down the middle after Josh Norris — so much so that Chris Tierney appears to be the de facto second line centre to start the season. Smith said that they didn’t want to necessarily overburden Shane Pinto, but also let it be known that the role is there for the taking and nothing is promised. With a projected line-up that could be awfully thin on scoring talent, could this be the opportunity that Logan Brown is after?
- Speaking of opportunities, Smith was asked about Erik Brännström’s role with the team and his answer certainly made it seem like the young Swede was anything but a lock to start in the NHL. Reading the tea leaves a bit, with Chabot and Zub on the first pair, Nikita Zaitsev and Michael Del Zotto a virtual lock for the second pair, that leaves one spot on the left side for Brännström, Mete and Holden to fight for. Smart money is on Holden, but like the second line centre role this will be one of the big battles in camp.
- Lastly, the Sens’ social media team had some good behind the scenes shots. The lighter side of things before the training camp battles get underway:/
Behind the scenes. 📸 pic.twitter.com/vuyanzGMtS— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) September 22, 2021
Bringing the "sPARTY" back!! #WhoPutGreenBehindMe #GoSensGo #freshnewthreads #SensMediaDay pic.twitter.com/cjZ90wy46J— Spartacat (@REAL_Spartacat) September 22, 2021