Ottawa Senators Training Camp Check-in: Sept 20th
Welcome to a new feature we’re trying out this year where we’ll be running daily check-ins from Ottawa Senators’ camp as they get set for the 2021-22 season. This will be a place for us to share tidbits about who’s in the best shape of their lives, how training camp battles are shaping up, and little minutiae that doesn’t necessarily fit in our other pieces. Think of it is a cousin to our Links, News, and Notes feature — except focused exclusively on Sens’ camp. As with any new feature, we heartily welcome your feedback in the comments section below!
- The Sens’ NHL training camp doesn’t officially get underway until Wednesday, but the development and rookie camps have been running since the 11th, and will conclude today with a rematch of Saturday’s affair against the Habs’ rookies at 4:05 pm.
- Speaking of the weekend tilt against Montreal’s rookies, Ottawa prevailed 4-3 thanks to third period goals from Maxence Guenette and Mark Kastelic just 1:32 apart.
- The win was preserved by this stellar save from Leevi Meriläinen, who was excellent after taking over from Mads Søgaard/
WOW Leevi 🤯 pic.twitter.com/m0UDM2mANl— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) September 19, 2021
- In addition to the game-winning goal, Kastelic was a force in the face-off circle and made several solid defensive plays while utilizing his big frame to maximum effectiveness. He could be a darkhorse for the 4C slot.
- Roby Järventie also flashed some real skills, and his work off the rush to set up Guenette’s tying goal is exactly the type of skill you want to see from the youngster. There’s basically zero chance Järventie starts the season in Ottawa but he’ll be looking to set himself up for a big year in Belleville.
- Lassi Thomson’s become some of a forgotten prospect on the Sens’ blueline but he was solid and showed off some of the skills that had Ottawa excited to select him in the first round.
- Shane Pinto didn’t have his best game, and he committed a really egregious giveaway led to one of Montreal’s goals, but his sporting the “C” should tell you everything you need to know about how highly he’s regarded in the organization.
- Full highlights from the game are here:/