Ottawa Senators Training Camp Check-in + Gameday Thread: Oct 7th
The second last pre-season game is upon us
After a less than inspiring effort on Monday night versus the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Ottawa Senators resume their pre-season schedule with a match-up against the Montreal Canadiens tonight.
- No practice today, though coach DJ Smith did meet with the media and provide a couple of updates. As BT covered earlier, Colin White’s injury seems to be severe and he will miss an extended period of time.
- You may also have heard that Tyler Ennis has signed a 1 year contract. Ennis is a useful bottom of the line-up NHLer, and the Sens’ depth is already stretched so hard not to see this as a positive. I expect he’ll start the year as the third-line right winger.
- Smith was feeling a lot more positive about Erik Brännström than he’s seemingly been at any point during his tenure with the Sens. /
Smith - I've seen big changes in Brannstroms game with his confidence and the way he moves the puck. Its the best I've seen him.— TSN 1200 (@TSN1200) October 7, 2021
I’m going to respectfully disagree with Smith here, Brännström was quite good at the end of last season in my opinion, but it’s nice to hear the coach speaking well of the young Swede. Maybe the battle on the blue line isn’t 100% decided just yet?
- Matt Murray is sick, though apparently not COVID-related, so Mads Søgaard has been recalled to serve as the third goalie. Anton Forsberg will start and Filip Gustavsson will be the back-up.
- Puck drop for tonight’s game is at 7pm. You can watch on TSN5/RDS or listen along on TSN1200/Unique FM94.5 in the Ottawa area./