After beating the Panthers on Monday last week, the Senators followed it up with wins over the Lightning and Stars before finally dropping one to the red-hot (blue-hot?) Blue Jackets. It was enough to even drop the Sens off Down Goes Brown’s Bottom-Five list for the first time since mid-November. A fun week to be sure, even if it means the Sens have a real shot at picking 9th or something in this draft.
1. Mike Hoffman — He scored two goals against the Bolts to tie him with Matt Duchene for the team lead. Then when Duchene scored against the Stars, Hoff made sure to let the game go to OT so he could score the winner. 3G, 1A in three games earns him the first star nod.
2. Matt Duchene — Hoff’s running mate mirrored his stat line with 1G, 3A. There have been comments that he’s the most talented centre the Sens have had since Jason Spezza, and that seems absolutely true.
3. Erik Karlsson — The Captain also finished the week with four points (1G, 3A). He keeps playing 26 minutes per night, and he’s definitely in the hunt to win the scoring title among defencemen.
- Don’t look now, but Alexandre Burrows had a goal and an assist this week. Three points in his past four games accounts for 33% of his production this season in 6.7% of the games
- Ryan Dzingel took full advantage of being on the Duch-Hoff line, putting up three points before losing him to a head injury that will at least keep him out on Tuesday
- Marian Gaborik had three points, showing that he still has the hands even if he doesn’t have the legs to keep up anymore
- The goalies continued to be good, with Craig Anderson putting up a .920 in one game, and Mike Condon putting up a .926 in two games/
- Jim O’Brien got sent down, meaning we’ll get to see the return of Filip Chlapik
- Max McCormick didn’t clear 10 minutes in any games this week
- Erik Burdoerfer also got sent down, but at least he got his first NHL point/
Who to Watch
Chlapik could get a spot right in the top six with Mark Stone and Dzingel out. Look for him to score his first NHL goal if he really gets that shot.
Not everyone can afford to pay for sports coverage right now, and that is why we will keep as much of the site's content free for as long as we can.
But if you are able to, please consider subscribing to help keep our articles free (and get a few extra perks).
- Ability to comment and participate in our community
- Twice monthly newsletter available only to subscribers
- Ad-free reading
- Our undying love and appreciation
- Everything from the Erik Condra tier
- 10% discount on all merch
- Access to any future paywalled content
- A personal thank-you from the Silver Seven staff
- Everything from the Brady Tkachuk tier
- Inner peace knowing you are supporting quality, independent coverage of your favourite sports team