The next 24 hours will be rife with speculation: Should head coach Paul MacLean give Alex Auld an opportunity to take the reins, or just pass him over and hand them straight to Lehner?
Auld's done well in Ottawa at times, most memorably during his last stint with the Sens as Martin Gerber faltered and Brian Elliott hadn't proven himself as an NHL starter just yet. But Auld had a rough start to the season this year, and hasn't had many opportunities to redeem himself, so it's tough to know what to expect.
Elliott is an interested comparable to Lehner this season, in that he was expected to play the entire season developing in the AHL while more experienced guys (Gerber, Auld) took care of the NHL workload. But then the starter faltered and the backup was outplayed, so Elliott took the ball and ran with it. The circumstances are different this time around, but it's an interesting historical comparison.
Also interesting is the AHL success both Lehner and Elliott had prior to their call-up to Ottawa. Lehner hasn't been strong this year, but was the Calder Cup Playoffs MVP last year; Elliott was among the AHL's best goaltenders in 2008-09, and was named a starter to the AHL All-Star Game that year.
So, who do you want MacLean to go with: Auld or Lehner?
- Nichols offers his arguments in the ongoing Erik Karlsson for Norris case. (The 6th Sens)
- Brennan calls for a nine-year, $60M contract for Karlsson. That's $6.67M per season, if you're wondering, and it strikes me as a little high. (Sun)
- A look at how Antoine Vermette fits in Dave Tippett's system with the Coyotes, whereas Kyle Turris didn't. (Grantland)
- Chris Phillips is... en... fuego? Alright then. (Sun)
- Garrioch cites "a source" who suggests Anderson's injury could keep him out up to eight weeks, if it's really bad. (Sun)
- Is Dustin Brown available? If so, there are a lot of suitors out there--perhaps more than there are for Rick Nash. (Puck Daddy)
Who should Paul MacLean give the starts to while Craig Anderson's out?
|Split the games between them||162|
|Is Anton Volchenkov available?||43|